Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Types of photos and Ergonomics

This isn't a clear cut choice as everyone makes it out to be. I'd have to say that the two prime considerations that only you can decide on are:

1. How you like the camera to handle in terms of ergonomics
2. The type of photography you'll be pursuing.

As a long and loyal Pentax user I'd be the first to admit that their AF algorithms are not as advanced as the other major players. But landscape being my primary area of interest, that is less of a concern. That's not to say good sports/action shots can't be had, just presents a different set of challenges. I'd had it stumble on some situations on me for casual shooting and candids, but when/if it becomes and issue I just throw it into MF.

I would rate Pentax ergonomics as top notch especially with the customizable command dials - far more versatility than the Nikon. Some real innovative exposure modes too that are a plus (Sv and TAv).

IMHO Nikon has superior JPEG output and AF though if you're not likely to do any post and shoot a love of movign targets.

09-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the most part I can only repeat what everyone else has said. You need to go pickup both cameras and compare them, especially with a SD card so you can take the images home and compare them at your convenience.

Pentax has been around for a bit over 100 years. They are a smaller company and they LACK marketing common sense. However, do not let that stop you.

One thing that they do very well is lenses. Some of the best lenses ever produced are from Pentax. Now, with that said - they have produced some dogs - every company has done that. Here is an article that talks about some of the best lenses ever produced - and what is interesting is... You can still buy them, and they are still affordable - Today.

sm-02-05-02

As others have said, sport shooting (fast moving targets in low light) is a challenge. However, the K7 is a good camera from what I hear. I recently upgraded to the K20 (the K7's predecessor) (from the K100) and it is wonderful - and a steal at the current price.

QuoteOriginally posted by suesydney Quote
Guys! We are buying a Pentax K7 Yeay! But We are now in another dilemma. What sort of lens should I start with? Twin WR Lens (18-50 / 55-200) or single 18-250?? We love to shoot Landscape / Nature / Portrait. Please help out! We once again sincerely appreciate all your responses and the time and effort in responding!
A year ago, I would have given you a different answer. Today, however I would go with a hybrid of the Twin WR Lenses, essentially the 18-55WR Kit lens, but rather than its brother (or sister) I would suggest the 55-300. The 55-300 is not a WR lens, but over all I think that the 55-300 has a much more useful range, and would be more appreciated than the 50-200. I have both the 50-200 and the 55-300. The 50-200 is an excellent lens, but with the 55-300 I find the range much more usable. If size is an issue the 50-200 lens is much smaller and lighter. In terms of Image Quality, I really do like the 55-300. Pentax has done an outstanding job with the design. So that is two lenses that covers everything.

The one lens solution, the 18-250 has had some excellent reviews from users. They like the single lens, especially for walking around. With toting around a bag through the airport, I can agree. However, in terms of image quality, I believe that the 2 lens set beats it. There is somewhat of a rule of thumb in zoom lenses, that a zoom factor of around 4 is it. The 18-250 has a factor of almost 14 (250/18=13.8). It is just really difficult to design a lens with great glass that extends across such a wide range of focal lengths. For what it is, I think that it does a terrific job. I did earlier this year almost pick one up at a store closing, but I did not. So, in the end, I can not give you a head to head comparison.

If it were me, I would buy the body and single WR kit lens, and then supplement it with the 55-300. In starting out, you have everything covered with the pair.

Best of luck in your decision ...

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-16-2009 at 08:06 PM.
09-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Nikon D90 is a great cam to hold and produces the cleanest high Iso images and no doubt will produce excellent images in the right hands

The K7 though is the Jack Russell - compact size, tough as nails and built for outdoor rugged use (sealed & protected) and any lens you buy will be stabilized.

Cheers

Dylan
09-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hi Sue,

I don't think anyone answered your edited question (SORRY, I SEE SOMEONE DID ANSWER! OOPS!) about lenses because it wouldn't show up anywhere as a new Q...but I saw it!

On the 18-55/50-200 vs. 18-250 comparison, there are some questions you need to ask yourself first (and we all had to learn/go through these!):

1. What is your lens budget? (I ask this because most people end up wanting to upgrade lenses from the "kit" level/quality...all three of the lenses you ask about are lower image quality...but can still take very good photos)
2. How important is absolute image quality? (for example, if you want gorgeous landscapes and travel snapshots, a higher quality wide zoom and a lower quality tele zoom might be a good way to go...if you want beautiful sports/wildlife photos, and landscape snapshots while travelling, you could go opposite...for portraits, you could throw in the FA 50mm, a standard portrait lens)
3. Do you mind changing lenses? (18-250 is obviously easier, with about the same image sharpness as the 18-55/50-200 combo)
4. Does the physical size of the lens matter? (18-250 is bigger/heavier on camera)
5. Does weather sealing matter? I have the 18-55 WR in my bag just in case it rains, but don't use it for anything else (mostly primes and an ultra-wide zoom)...it seemed to me pointless to get a sealed camera (K-7) and not complete the package.

Answering these can help you a bit more, and help us help you a bit more!

Todd

EDIT #2: One more thing: you can get an idea of the images the lenses are capable of producing here:
www.pentaxphotogallery.com

Last edited by gnaztee; 09-18-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Messed up
09-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you gnatzee for all the input you have provided. We have just purchased a K7 + Sigma 18-200 lens. Will keep you posted. Cheers, Sue