Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying DSLR - Urgent Advice needed

Hello,

We are considering buying a new DSLR and contemplating between Pentax K7 & Nikon D90 with 18-200 lens. We have read the dpreview on K7 and the full review on D90. We are aware that K7 is best value for money, but given Pentax is defunct, we are little hesitant. Also I am a Prosumer and not a Professional Photographer. Any advice??

Thank you for all your responses.

Sue

Guys! We are buying a Pentax K7 Yeay! But We are now in another dilemma. What sort of lens should I start with? Twin WR Lens (18-50 / 55-200) or single 18-250?? We love to shoot Landscape / Nature / Portrait. Please help out! We once again sincerely appreciate all your responses and the time and effort in responding!

Last edited by suesydney; 09-14-2009 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Additional Q's
09-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by suesydney Quote
Hello,

We are considering buying a new DSLR and contemplating between Pentax K7 & Nikon D90 with 18-200 lens. We have read the dpreview on K7 and the full review on D90. We are aware that K7 is best value for money, but given Pentax is defunct, we are little hesitant. Also I am a Prosumer and not a Professional Photographer. Any advice??
Thank you for all your responses.

Sue
Find a store that sells both cameras. Bring a memory card and try both of them out. Try out some other cameras as well. You will likely choose the K7 after actual testing.

Oh, and Pentax isn't defunct.
09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Pentax is defunct? Then who makes the K-7? :ugh:
I'd advise same way as enoeske. Hold a Pentax - and you'll get it.
09-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Best not buy the K-7 then, it's not real.

09-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suesydney Quote
but given Pentax is defunct
Sounds like something you must have heard from an unscrupulous salesman trying to push Nikon on unsuspecting prospective customers. Where else would you get such an idea?
09-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

it's true. Pentax is defunct and those new K7's are just replicas of "real" Pentax K7's.
...oh and this forum is defunct...we are just figments of your imagination...
09-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Pentax is a defunct as Hoya is. Good grief. The more that I've learned about Pentax, the happier that I've bought a K10, K20, and K100super over the last year and a half as well as all those lenses. I can't wait until next year when I get my k-7.

It's simple, they tend to be smaller, lighter, a bit cheaper, and you can use any lens ever made for the Pentax system. Oh, and the handling is so logical - to me. It's no contest.

Tim
09-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi All, We appreciate all your responses. We agree with 'raymeedc'. We were told so by a salesman who is trying to push us to get a Nikon D90. Hence this question posed to the Pentax forum who must of you - use, own a Pentax.

09-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Sue, whatever model or brand camera you buy, you'll be happy with the pictures it takes. They all have their individual strengths and weaknesses.
One positive way to look at the idea of buying a Pentax, if you think you and your family are going to get serious about photography, there is a huge amount of old lenses out there to reduce the cost of building a system. The cost of building a system with the other brands tends to be more expensive.
09-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello - Pentax isn't defunct. I'm a prosumer too and the K-7 is fabulous, everything you need in a camera and more.
09-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Sue,

I am about to purchase a K7 as well and am from sydney. Before you buy make sure you go to Digital Camera warehouse here is a link to there online store but you can visit them at Canterbury. I highly recommend you visit them

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/index.htm

The fact the salesmen told you that Pentax is defunct is an indication he knows nothing or is trying to sway you unjustly

I just noticed you are in Melbourne, they also have a store there
09-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy the K7. Pentax is far from defunct. This kind of babble from salesmen remind me of the crap Ritz salesmen were telling people last year. They were confused and it was Ritz that went defunct. Pentax seems to have a policy of expecting stores to pay for the cameras they sell.
09-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Sounds like something you must have heard from an unscrupulous salesman trying to push Nikon on unsuspecting prospective customers. Where else would you get such an idea?
This is exactly right. Only 2 reasons a Salesman would push one brand over another is:

1. He owns that particular brand and sees himself somewhat as an expert on it.

2. The store gives a higher commission on certain brands to their staff because the manufacturer gives the store better rebates. This does not mean it's a better camera or even that the after sales service is good. Always beware of a salesman pushing a certain product because he is not your friend but is there to make as much in bonus money as he can.

One thing to consider is that neither Nikon or Canon have anti shake built into the camera body and this has to be built into their lenses which makes them more expensive to buy. Pentax has anti shake built into the camera body so that it is not required to be built into the lenses therefor making them that much cheaper.
09-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

Has anyone thought to tell Pentax that they are defunct, it might save them a fortune on R&D.
09-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most salesmen don't know much about Pentax for some reason - perhaps because it is a smaller company without the marketing $$$ of Canon and Nikon.

To give you an idea of how little they know: I was told by the salesman the eventually sold me a K7 that it couldn't autofocus in live view (it can) and that Pentax limited lenses, while nicely built, are manual focus only (they are not) and cannot be autofocussed (they can).

As for the K7 - what's not to like? Best value for money Prosumer DSLR available. Pro features at a prosumer price.