Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Can the K2000, K200D, or K20D use all pentax manual lenses?

Basically I want a camera that can use older lenses from back in the day, the reason is because they are cheaper, more well made(I think so) and I like having a aperture ring. I Have a D40 which I am likely to sell because of compatibility.

For now I am looking at these and getting mixed responses. Some say they work with older lenses while others say they are crippled.

I am also looking at the Nikon D200 but would like to go pentax because the old used lenses seem much cheaper(Same quality?)

Edit: Just saw the sticky, seems like im out of luck from what I can grasp from it, not sure though...

09-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know why you're out of luck. All Pentax DSLRs can use all Pentax lenses with a K mount with no adapters needed. I have two manual lenses that I use on my K100D without any problem. One of the real advantages of the Pentax line is that you have shake reduction on every lens you own.
09-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of users have gone to Pentax for the versatility of using absolutely any lens that can be fitted to its K-mount. The 'crippling' factor is in the automation of taking a metered photo with the old MF lenses.

An M lens just needs the touch of a green button in M mode and it is stopped down momentarily to meter the shot. In other modes, the M lenses are used wide open. A lenses work just fine in any mode. M42 lenses with K-mount adapters also work fine in all modes once the aperture has been set on the ring, but are obviously not going to be as bright in the viewfinder if stopped down.

Sorry if this is all higgledypiggledy - be assured that Pentax cameras were designed with compatibility in mind and you'll soon find its virtues coming through with each manual lens you get your hands on...
09-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstractational Quote
Edit: Just saw the sticky, seems like im out of luck from what I can grasp from it
What makes you say that? It gives step by step instructions on how to use them. The sense in which they are "crippled" are:

- no AF (obviously)
- on lenses with no "A" position on the aperture (or if you move the ring off that position), the camera can't read the aperture directly, so there's a special procedure to perform "stop down" metering. It's not a problem at all.
- on two camera models only (K10D and K20), the above procedure doesn't work very well, so you end up having to fix up exposure manually. Again, not that big a deal.

09-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So what are the advantages of the Pentax K20D over the K200D? They seem priced similar. The K2000 seems like the weakest link but im not sure.
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no weak link between the cameras.
All are capable of taking just about any kind of photo.
The K20D is more expensive than the K200D because of advanced customisable features and a more modern and higher resolution sensor.
Have a look at each camera's stats and pricings and you'll see the differences.
The K2000 is actually quite a fine camera, without much of the bells and whistles of the K200D and K20D that don't make much difference when taking photos.
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

- no AF (obviously)
- on lenses with no "A" position on the aperture (or if you move the ring off that position), the camera can't read the aperture directly, so there's a special procedure to perform "stop down" metering. It's not a problem at all.
- on two camera models only (K10D and K20), the above procedure doesn't work very well, so you end up having to fix up exposure manually. Again, not that big a deal.
No AF is a plus in my book, I never use it. I guess I should probably go with A lenses assuming they are good. I found a couple 70-200mm ones on ebay for about 20-60 dollars on ebay which looked pretty neat. The Tou/Five Star MC Macro 75-200mm 1:4.5 for Pentax K PK-A for 25 bucks in particular and a Pentax Takumar-A 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Lens for 60 bucks all in perfect condition.

Now I have another question, so if im using there lenses that have variable mm numbers, will I have to set the mm im using in the camera? Im leaning towards the K20D, its 50 bucks more then the k200.

09-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lenses with "variable mm numbers" are called zoom lenses. If you wish the SR system on your camera to work to its fullest advantage, you'll have to change the setting each time you zoom, but most people just set it to something toward the bottom or middle of the range when they mount the lens and then leave it alone.

The K20d has a bigger viewfinder, more buttons and dials on the camera, has a crude form of "live view", and takes a proprietary lithium ion battery. The K200D is smaller and runs (extremely well) off AA's.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-13-2009 at 11:33 AM.
09-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I'm gonna go with the K20D I think then, Also I kinda am interested in Infrared photography, I read that this camera handles it badly but stumbled upon this which argues otherwise:

Pentax K20D Digital Camera Infrared Tests | digital ImageMaker international: for photography, camera, art and business reviews, tutorials and great images
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IR photography is best done with a K100D - does not have the filter that more intensely impedes the IR frequencies like the K10D/K20D.

But it can be done with an R72 filter or the sort, just with relatively long exposure times. The Tamron 28-75 I use for IR with the K20D does hotspot a little in the centre but doesn't do too badly:

09-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats a downer, maybe I should keep my D40 for infrared then...I'm guessing the K100 is not nearly as good as the K20D and more comparable to a D40.
09-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So would it be better to send in my K100d and have it converted to IR camera or pick up a R72 Infrared Glass Filter for my 67mm Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens ??
09-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstractational Quote
Thats a downer, maybe I should keep my D40 for infrared then...I'm guessing the K100 is not nearly as good as the K20D and more comparable to a D40.
It's comparable to the D40 in some respects (similar sensor), but unlike the D40, it works just fine with older lenses (both AF and MF), and it has SR (a *huge* benefit), a bigger viewfinder, a top LCD, and other features that place it in a higher class. But like the K200D, it lacks the the additional controls of the K20D. Not sure how the k200D compares for IR.
09-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Does the image quality of the K100D compare well with the D40?
09-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

if you are in US, it would probably be interesting to get a cheap k100d, second hand, and ir-convert it. you could do the same with the d40, but it might be more expensive on the long run (separate lenses).

coming back to your question, to sum what has been said really: yes, fully compatible, in short, it will only be slower (so maybe a good advice is to get the kit lens with the body you buy, jsut the same, for two reasons: it is actually a good lens, it is cheap when you buy it with a body, it provides wideangle, which is hard to find in the old lineup (28mm is not wide on the aps-c sensors), and it has af. auto-exposure auto everything, for the times you are in a hury -- two very good reasons as you can see )

ps: the d50 was my first dslr. very nice camera, however the compatibility issues and the ugly nikon attitude towards that ("buy a d200 or shut the **** up" and "because we feel like it, not because we can't do it") made me sell it and buy the k100d. i never looked back. imho, if you are so keen on old glass, you can make the switch without blinking (the worse that can happen is be pissed about the metering issues with smc-m on the k20d, which can be solved quick and cheap buy getting a more suitable focusing screen for that purpose -- speaking of, many people recommend getting a split screen, like a katz eye, for the full "retro experience" ).