Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. This does expand the possibilities.
Very detailed 'micro' images there.
Amazing.

09-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrpink Quote
Hi guys,

I was shopping for macro lens and explained the salesman that I will be shooting objects 1mm in size. I said I needed macro lens that will capture these at almost full screen.

They've suggested and sold me a Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens.

The problem is, even with extension tubes, the object is NOWHERE NEAR the size I need it to be (at full focal length of course).

Please tell me what determining parameter (and value) do I look for in a macro lens, (or how do I calculate the value needed) when I have an object that is 1mm in size that needs to be full screen.

Or you can just suggest specific lens models to consider.
It is for a Pentax K7.

I hope I'm explaining this right,
Thanks very much!
You have got lots of good advice here. I have nothing to add to that.
But I think it is worth reflecting on something else here.
It is often argued that it is better to buy gear from a real-world camera shop, and not over the web.
Here you asked a salesperson in a real camerashop for advice and explained your needs, and he/she walked all over you. Either he/she was:
1) ignorant (and did not know what 1:1 macro meant, that 1 mm object would be only 1mm on the sensor).
2) ignoring you and only promoting the gear they wanted to sell.
In contrast, you spend a little bit of time on the web and you get all the advice you need. Of course, the difference here is that no one makes money on you, while the salesperson would perhaps not have told you that what you needed was either some tubes or bellows + a lensmount-filter-thread reverse ring (which you can get for 100USD or less if you go second hand), or that you would need a filter-filter-thread reverse ring for a few USD and to use a teleprime and a wide-angle/normal prime that you might already have (or could buy 2nd hand for about 100USD). Instead he sold you a 1:1 macro lens for severall times this cost, to bring in profit to the shop. Sometimes I don't miss camera shops at all!