Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

Looking for a Flash

OK, in my quest for a nice flash, I'm running into a few road blocks. I found a Pentax AF-200FG at National Camera Exchange, but the help was so horrendous, that I left. I probably could have walked out with the darn thing in my hand, since the guy put it on the counter and left me standing there for about 10 minutes. Anywho...

After looking over that flash, I think I want one that has an adjustable bounce angle. My problem lies with my cheapness. I really don't want to spend much more than about $100 for the flash, I might bend a bit on that but not by much.

So, in searching I'm coming up with the following flashes.

Pentax AF-200FG $89.00 (not loving this flash)
Vivitar 285HV $89.97 (this is what I am leaning towards)
Digital Concepts $119.99 (no model number, ebay special, but not shipping from China)

My photography will be mostly interior rooms and such, and occasionally I'd like to be able to shoot some nice pics of the kids.

I'm also not opposed to looking for a used or demo flash if such a thing exists.

Ideas, opinions?

09-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGuru Quote
After looking over that flash, I think I want one that has an adjustable bounce angle. My problem lies with my cheapness. I really don't want to spend much more than about $100 for the flash, I might bend a bit on that but not by much.
You might want to add the Metz 36 AF-4 to your short list. I think it's a no-brainer over the Pentax AF200FG.

Personally, though, for my own inside photography and nice shots of kids, I find wireless P-TTL invaluable, and worth saving up another hundred bucks for. This lets you put the flash somewhere convenient in the room and not add weight and bulk to your camera as you're shooting.
09-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hmm, something to think about for sure! I hadn't thought of using a flash not mounted to the camera. I kind of like that idea.

The search continues...

PS. Matt, what a great guide!!!!

Last edited by ZeGuru; 09-12-2009 at 08:15 PM.
09-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

ZeGuru,

If you don't mind handle-mount flash, look for something like this:

Sunpak 522

I like handle-mount flash. In fact, even though I have 2 Pentax 540 units, I still use my Metz 45CT1 and my Sunpak 555 units for most of my flash shooting.

09-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
ZeGuru,

If you don't mind handle-mount flash, look for something like this:

Sunpak 522

I like handle-mount flash. In fact, even though I have 2 Pentax 540 units, I still use my Metz 45CT1 and my Sunpak 555 units for most of my flash shooting.
SOldBear,

Can you reccomend a smaller, folding/flip flash bracket by chance??
09-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't mind using a non P-TTL (or non TTL for that matter) you might consider the Sunpak 383.

However, my personal favorite in the non P-TTL arena is the Pentax AF 280T - great flash, tilt and swivel, good numbers and (relatively speaking) lightweight - and fairly easy on battery life.
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
You might want to add the Metz 36 AF-4 to your short list. I think it's a no-brainer over the Pentax AF200FG.

Personally, though, for my own inside photography and nice shots of kids, I find wireless P-TTL invaluable, and worth saving up another hundred bucks for. This lets you put the flash somewhere convenient in the room and not add weight and bulk to your camera as you're shooting.
Matt, I took your advice and bought the Metz 36. Should be arriving next week. Thanks again!

09-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'd go for the metz 36 above the others you have lists
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No swivel though..
..but better than the Pentax AF200FG for sure!
09-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
No swivel though..
..but better than the Pentax AF200FG for sure!
I ended up buying the Metz, and I'm very glad I bought this over the Pentax AF200! But... I was shooting some pics of my daughter and when I went to shoot a portrait shot, I was instantly thinking "Man, I wish this thing would swivel"

Once I get a few more shots under my belt, and get a little more comfortable with the camera, I'll likely upgrade the flash - Just don't tell the wife, LOL
10-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGuru Quote
Once I get a few more shots under my belt, and get a little more comfortable with the camera, I'll likely upgrade the flash - Just don't tell the wife, LOL
This is actually what's important and what counts! ..never,never, ever..tell the wife..