Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #1

memory card error problem

Newbie needs Help!!

Finished about 150 shots at wedding, only to get 'memory card error' (Sandisk, 1GB card, K100D). PC doesn't seem to recognize card. Any hope??

I see Internet adds about software, but I can't tell whether there's any hope for recovery, given that my PC can't find anything. Any point in going to camera store?

Needless to say, I'm a bit gunshy about taking important pictures.

Keeping my fingers crosses, and thanks!

Curt

09-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you try using the USB umbilical cord to attach the camera to the PC? Your PC might have a bad card reader.
09-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And try another card reader to try and salvage what you got.
Then format your card in-camera and try again.
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

Hi Curt,

Unfortunately this error happened to me too, but with a Kingston card on my K200. I went to the store and the guy there told me that you can "fix" your card by doing an in-camera format. On a K200 this is Menu-->Set-up-->Format. This obviously deletes all the pictures on the card, but for me it did save the card to take more pictures another day (and I haven't had the problem since).

He also said that you should do an in-camera format every once in a while (he said he does it every time he uploads pics to his computer) and this should stop the card from getting errors.

But for you since there are wedding pictures, this probably isn't the ideal solution. I think that people have been able to recover photos from a memory card error, but for me I just did the reformat because my pics weren't super important anyway.

Aside from trying another card reader or using the cord (which have already been suggested) there seem to be a lot of software options, a list of which can be found here. Also you could try to send your card to a memory recovery company. I googled "SD recovery service" and the first hit is for eprovided and they have a price of $22 for data recovery for cards up to 1GB. I don't know if this is a good company or not, its just the first one I happened to find.

Maybe someone else here knows about a reputable data recovery service or software? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck recovering your images! If you find something that works please let us know!

--
Dana

09-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've had the problem and tried several free programs that recovered a few shots. then i tried this and recovered 90% of my images from the sd card. It was $40 and money well spent, not to have to go and do a reshoot (which you don't have the option). try the free download.

Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for suggestions! This forum is great -- has helped on a number of issues I've had.

I have transferred pics from another card to PC via camera, so problem seems to be card. My gut says re-formating card will erase all I have. No?
I'm going to try read from another Pentax of same type next.

Has anyone used recovery company? I did notice them, but I'm somewhat reluctant to mail card away without some recommendation.

I will let you all know what I learn. Luckily, this is not common problem but sure is frustrating.

Curt
09-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Recover what you can and then a reformat may fix the problem for future use (reformat will erase the data)
09-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you use Windows (as it appears you do), try using Recuva, an excellent free file recovery program (see these two reviews). Even if you format your card in your camera, all that does is erase the file directory system and not the actual files (to actually erase the files, you have to rewrite data over the entire card, sometimes several times over). So recovery of your files is probably very possible. I suggest using Recuva before reformatting and if that is unsuccessful, then reformat in camera and then immediately remove the card from the camera, and use Recuva to try to recover the rest.

09-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks!

I'm getting a card reader tomorrow, and will try this ASAP. I'll let all know how things turn out! I feel more optimistic after having skimmed the Recuva documentation.
09-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Since memory card prices are so low, I'd simply throw away the card (after attempting image recovery) and get a new one (from a reputable source). Once a card has had a problem, I think it will continue to have 'em - no sense risking important photos to a suspect card!
09-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Since memory card prices are so low, I'd simply throw away the card (after attempting image recovery) and get a new one (from a reputable source). Once a card has had a problem, I think it will continue to have 'em - no sense risking important photos to a suspect card!
I'd also get a new card (Frys.com seems to consistently have good prices, but there are other places). My experience is that once a card goes bad in my K10D it's never reliable again. Maybe it'll work for a little while every so often, but that doesn't cut it for me.
09-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #12

Original Poster
So far, conclusion is that card is severely damaged. I can't get PC to read it -- it looks for files continually, and seems not to recognize that card is in reader. Thus, while I have two softwares ready to recover, I can't proceed.

Does anyone know if techies can take card apart for some type of recovery? I'm definitely planning to trash the card, but would like to salvage any pictures.
09-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Since it appears that neither the camera nor the PC will even recognize the card, there's not much you can do.

If you can get either to at least recognize the card, then go ahead and format it. If your PC will then recognize the card, then you should be able to use the recovery software and (hopefully) recover some or all of the images.
09-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did not read that the camera would not read the card. If it does maybe you can transfer via usb or output to a DVD recorder.
10-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #15

Original Poster
Saga is over. I tried two software programs, to no avail. Then sent card to recovery service. Service was fine, but nothing could be recovered, no charge. So I have a new card, and no photos!
for me, I plan to change cards 2-3 times during important sessions.