Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Buying decisions - any input appreciated!

So I just sold my Pentax K100D with a couple Pentax lenses. I thought I was going to buy a Nikon D90, but after much research, I am right back to Pentax. I really want the K7 for the improved white-balance and low light performance, but not sure I can justify the cost over a new K20D for $620 from Amazon. Any thoughts on the K20D vs K7? I'm not a professional photographer, just really enjoy shooting but was frequently frustrated by the white-balance and high ISO performance of my K100D. It turns out, after talking to a pro photographer friend, that the low light issues were more a result of low-end lenses rather than my 100D.

Second question is for a lens suggestion. I want to go with a fixed aperature and am looking at the Pentax 16-50 f2.8, and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. The Sigma is $270 cheaper, but from what I've read both lenses have some significant quality control issues. Does anyone have experience with these lenses and can point me in the right direction? I don't know that I'm knowledgable enough to know if I end up with a good or bad copy of either lens. Thanks!

Kenneth

09-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Forum Member

I bought a K20D in July when it was $699 on Amazon and if I had it to do over again right now, I'd buy the K20D for $620. There is no way I could personally justify paying twice as much money for a camera with only moderate improvements. The white balance improvement is one that might be worth paying a little extra for, but not twice as much. Maybe if the K7 was $850 or something, I'd consider choosing it over a $620 K20D. If you want to buy the camera right now and price is a significant factor, I think it's a no brainer. Why not get the K20D and use the savings to get another nice lens?
09-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know much about the two lenses,but as for the decision to buy the K20 over the K7,I think was the wise economical choice.Like you say,there isn't at the the moment any justification to pay twice as much for the K7.Give it another twelve or so month,and the K7 will be close to the K20's todays price and a newer Pentax model will arrive and it goes on and on.Anyway, enjoy your new toy!
09-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Forum Member

Lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by kklabunde Quote
Second question is for a lens suggestion. I want to go with a fixed aperature and am looking at the Pentax 16-50 f2.8, and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. The Sigma is $270 cheaper, but from what I've read both lenses have some significant quality control issues. Does anyone have experience with these lenses and can point me in the right direction? I don't know that I'm knowledgable enough to know if I end up with a good or bad copy of either lens. Thanks!
Kenneth
I have shot with both lenses extensively and will tell you that it is definitely worth buying the 16-50mm lens. The weather sealing, the SDM and the extra 2mm on the wide end are definitely worth it. I think the 16-50mm is built like a tank and it just "feels" more professional in that respect.

However, the 18-50mm remains a good competitor, but I feel that it's small size (which you may want) and it's "cheaper" feel are not worth the hassle. I shoot professionally and I have been so happy having the 16-50mm on my body.

Speaking of that, I've been shooting tons of weddings on a k10 for the last year-and-a-half and everything has been stellar. I just got a k20d and retired my k10d to my backup body, but even then, I still grab my k10d with the 50mm 1.4 over half the time when I'm working. Both excellent cameras, in my opinion. I'm almost afraid to switch to the K-7, because of how "tiny" it's perceived to be (physically smaller than the k20).

Hope this helps.

09-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personal choice.
Both are fine cameras.
Both are fine lenses.
I don't care much for video, so I'm sticking with my K20D.
I prefer the WR, SDM and solid design of the 16-50, so I went for it ahead of any other wide-normal zoom.
Look at your budget and what you would be happy putting your money towards, then just go for it.
09-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are set on 2.8 zoom and started from scratch, imho the best combo would be Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 plus whatever body you can afford. I don't think awb is a big deal since I shoot raw.
09-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, all! A new-to-me K20D and DA*16-50 arrived today from happygui via the marketplace on this forum. So far I'm very pleased with the combo. Really appreciate your input...
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks, all! A new-to-me K20D and DA*16-50 arrived today from happygui via the marketplace on this forum. So far I'm very pleased with the combo. Really appreciate your input...
I have both Sigma 18-50mm macro and DA* 16-50mm lenses. I like them both; the sigma is lighter of the two which I use mainly for travelling, the DA* is heavier. The strength of the Sigma 18-50mm is the macro (close focusing feature) but I also find that 18mm FL is not wide enough sometimes in street scenes - 16mm FL is better suited.

09-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #9

i'm having a similar debate with myself - sell the 18-50 b/c of the wide end, or keep b/c the 16-50 is so expensive
09-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase.
Enjoy!