Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens purchasing decision

So a friend/former student of mine wants to sell me a lens. It's a Pentax-M 50mm f1.4. He wants $40 but it has fungus (light to moderate?). He's letting me borrow it to see whether or not I want to buy it.
I've taken several photos with the lens and I can't really tell whether or not the fungus is having an effect on the photo quality.
Will this lens get progressively worse? If I decide that I want to buy it, would the fungus have the ability to "infect" my other lenses if I keep it in the same bag?
I'd like to know if it would be a good purchase. I don't know much about lens fungus except for the fact that it etches glass.

By the way, it broke my heart to see a lens like this with fungus in it.

09-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dont buy it. you would find a lot of 50 1.4 in the used market and in a much better condition for the same price.
09-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you could probably get a clean smc a 50mm 1.7 for about $50 or so.... nice lens, very good ratings here in the forum...
09-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I already have a Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4, but I thought it would be nice to have the Pentax-M for its K-mount convenience. I paid $50 for my 50mm 1.4 Takumar and felt like that was a good deal. They've been going from $70-$90 on Ebay and the K-mounts have been going for more than that. If anyone would sell me a K-mount 50mm 1.4 for $50, I would love to have it, but I've never seen one that cheap.

09-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
So if I did want it, how much should I offer him for it? Or would it be foolish to put a lens with fungus into my camera bag. I don't know if it can spread to other lenses or get into a bag.
09-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
agreed. I've been scouring the ebay and can't find a decent deal on anything. At least nothing with AF. There are some nice M 50mm about but even those are going for a little higher than they should.

If anyone has an smc a 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 they are looking to drop for relatively cheap...
09-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've also wondered about an "infected" lens and if it would contaminate other lens. So I Googled Lens fungus and got these links:

Fungi in Photographic Lens
Fungus and Camera Lenses
Digital Photography World: DEALING WITH FUNGUS IN THE LENS

IMHO I myself would not buy the lens and tempt fate. However, I already own that lens so it's easy for me to say no, but I really really love the lens, it's super sharp and the AF on my K10D focuses better than my tired eyes.

Good Luck!