Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I'm going on a trip. Looking for thoughts/suggestions

Posted on another forum, and wanted to ask here as well...

So I am going on a trip in a couple of weeks for my 40th birthday and the wife just told me where. It has been a surprise for months, but she said she wanted to give me some chance to prepare.

I will be going to Albuquerque, New Mexico for a week. I don't know what we'll do much of the time, but the trip is culminating with a balloon ride for me on the first day of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. I will be there at dawn and riding for a few hours in one of the couple hundred or more hot air balloons participating in the first Mass Ascension. Needless to say I am very excited.

Anyhow, I am looking for any suggestions anyone might have for what to take or anything else helpful. I am on a tight budget and will rent one extra lens...

I own a Samsung GX-10 (nee K10D) and I recently bought a Sigma 10-20mm. I also own the 18-55 kit lens, a horrible Takumar 135 f2.5 which I am not taking (if there is a color it can fringe with massively, it will), and a cheap Pentax M 50mm f2. I am planning on renting one nice lens to take with me, a DA* 60-250 f4. I can't afford to rent more, but this one should hopefully cover most needs that the kit and the Sigma can't. I have always wanted to try a DA* anyhow. Might own one someday...

I think I should also bring/buy a monopod for the dawn photos, and the nighttime balloon glow we will probably go take the kids to at the end of the day. I will likely get another spare battery since I only have 2 and the original battery is showing its age. Just bought an 8GB SD card, but knowing me I might want another...

Any thoughts? Anyone else going? Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

09-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi John.
8GB should do you fine, even shooting RAW, but if you have any spares do bring them as well (they take up no space in the bag at all).
A tripod would be my suggestion, even above a monopod, but that would be up to you what you prefer hiking around with you for those low-light shots.

Your 10-20 will be a useful lens to have, and the 50mm lens is small yet handy to have. Your 60-250 to rent will be very versatile and provide you with lots of opportunity. 250mm may be short for birding and small wildlife, but may surprise you what it can capture.

Hope it goes well.
09-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also suggest a tripod, along with the mono. Make sure you get to Taos and Santa Fe since there are wonderful sights to be seen in both places. Spend some time in the Taos area since it is a very picturesque area. With all of the scenery your wide angle zooms will serve you very well. It would be nice to have something in the 50-200 zoom or more for some of the shots. Both Taos and Santa Fe are havens for many artists. Make sure that you are able to photograph the hot air baloons since they will offer you quite the colorful sights.
09-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yeah, tripod

I will likely bring the cheap video tripod I have, but I thought of the monopod to have on the balloon itself, as there would not likely be any room for a tripod in the gondola. We were contemplating Santa Fe already, but I have to look into Taos. Thanks for the idea!