Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Order New K20d

Order a new K20d over night delivery learned my lesson about not checking company reviews. Thanks for the help and website to check out if a company is legitimate. I purchase the k20d and the second version kit lens 18/55 still need to get memory card and camera bag any recommendation on size of card and bag. What would be a good flash for this camera? I will shoot with the kit lens for sometime time I need to learn how to use my camera and the type of pictures I like to shoot. I know I won't be shooting any fast moving sports events of any kind. Any tips on how to get started?

Thanks,
Gary

09-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
read the manual. twice.
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Set exposure compo to +0.3 ... maybe 0.7.
09-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the K20! Several things come to mind. Y. Bourque has a book each on the K100, K10, K20 and he charges $5 for a soft copy. You really can not go wrong at that price.

k10dbook home

Between the manual and book - what the manual does a poor job on, the book will cover.

On the topic of SD cards. You can spend a small fortune, looking for the absolute fastest, etc. I purchase them on sale, with reasonable brand names such as Transend, Kingston, PNY, Patriot, Lexar, Sandisk, etc. I would go with at least a 2GB or better yet a 4GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Card - Class 6 (or 150x). You should be able to find them mail order for about $15 (4GB)... Here you go - a very reputable retailer with a good price - not even on sale.

TS4GSDHC6 Transcend 4 GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Class 6 Memory Card

I can't help with the flash - I only use ambient light.

On the camera bag, it is not an instant necessity. Do some reading of the postings here and down on the Field Accessory Forum - that is where the bag discussions are. You do not need to spend a small fortune on one. Go by a camera shop or best buy to see what size and type appeals to you, do some reading and looking. There are quite a lot of bag sizes and styles - you need to see what you prefer.

To get started - take pictures!

Also, try stitching photos into panoramas. That will stall the need for any wide angle lens, and get you in to focusing, and aperture settings. There is software available for free that will stitch the images together for you.

Stitching
http://digital-photography-school.co...ith-any-camera
http://www.socialphoto.co.uk/2009/02...ma-comparison/

Here is a free stitching utility that does a very good job...

hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

There is a lot of material here on the PentaxForums. Try searching for K20 ....

Hope that helps! I think that you will really like the camera.