Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using non WR lenses on WR bodies?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Do you guys shoot in the rain with non-WR lenses on WR bodies? If so, don't you worry about your lenses getting wet? How do you manage to conceal your lenses from getting too wet if you add something to your non WR lenses.

09-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
iht
Veteran Member

I've seen ads on eBay for SLR waterproof bags. Here's an example (I'm in no way affiliate with the seller - just something for your reference):

Waterproof Digital SLR Camera case bag Canon Nikon - eBay Other Bags, Bags, Cases, Straps, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 20-Sep-09 13:20:24 AEST)

I have experience with it. Perhaps others can comment on its effectiveness.
09-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I simply use a plastic bag over the lens. Before going out i tape it to the hood and use an elastic band close to the body to keep the barrel dry. But frankly it has to be important to shoot an unsealed lens in the rain. If it's a common thing, make the investment for at least a WR 18-55 or 50-200mm. Do it enough and you'll be replacing your old lenses anyway and possibly the body if rain gets into the mount.
09-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just use common sense - keep the camera & lens in the bag or under my jacket when not actually shooting, cover the lens with my hand, my sleeve, or a plastic bag while I have it out, etc. Plus I don't use my most expensive lenses in the rain - my favorite for bad weather is the M28/2.8, which like all M lenses as far as I know contains no electronics whatsoever. The chances of enough rain entering the lens or via the lens mount to endanger the camera are greatly overstated by some. One time I spilled a full large glass of water right on the lens mount on coming back to my car after an afternoon of shooting in the rain. After quickly wiping it off, I removed the lens, and there was not a drop visible inside.

09-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My solution here-
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/65032-awesome-cheap-rain-cape.html
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but if I'm expecting rain, I try to make certain I have a DA * lens on the camera. I feel pretty safe with light rain and primes. I just wipe them down afterward. I feel like a non sealed zoom would be more likely to suck water inside.