Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

First Sports Action Shots

Hi Everyone,
I am new to DSLR photography and am having fun learning more about it.

I Have a k2000 and took some shots of my son's football game last weekend. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

The complete album

09-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #2

You obviously have made great progress in mastering the DSLR as the pictures are sharp and well focused. I would, however, use a lot more cropping to isolate the action. Kids milling around are not that exciting. Delete shots that don't show some interesting action. I also use and like the K2000.

Last edited by tarsus; 09-16-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Add text
09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

You got some great shots. Very colorful and sharp. I agree with tarsus comment in using some cropping to focus on the action either with a zoom or with post processing. Keep up the great work.
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Idaho, you've picked a tough sport to shoot because you can't easily see the player's faces.

What I like about photographing U7 soccer this year has been the drama on the kid's faces (often a group of them) and I love capturing them when they're trying so hard e.g.

I use a K20D with DA 55-300/F4-5.8

General comments:

1. Your shots appear fairly level. Are you using a tripod? If not, I'd suggest using one as it reduces the PP work a bit.

2. They appear well lit. I try to get the sun behind me, but with young soccer they're using smaller fields sandwiched very close side-by-side and I often can't stand on the right side. This means I've got to play with EV & curves in PP and the grass gets yellowish (1st shot).

3. I like to use TAv mode. I have ISO roaming between 100-1600 (typ. 280-560), aperture at either F6.7 or F8 (perf.) for some DOF, and shutter speed set at either 1/500s or 1/750s to reduce motion blurring. I find it a struggle when the day's overcast.

4. I crop a lot, I'm only really interested in capturing the action & dramatic moments, rather than doccumenting the game.

5. Your shots have bright colours. Are you increasing the Saturation in PP? In Brisbane it's been dry a lot so we don't get the bright green you guys get.

6. I try to get a shot of every player on both sides (sometimes it's diffcult because some players don't do much) & try not to concentrate as much on our side as I first did, because I appreciate the efforts of the kids in the opposing team. (In fact, if I was not reviewing photos after the game, I would have missed so much that I did not notice whilst shooting. For me, that's probably the main benefit of shooting) I hand out slips of paper to the parents of the opposing team giving them the address of the website where the photos will be and giving them an email that they can contact if they want any removed. (No requests yet.) I shot the after-game best-player presentations for both sides.

Some shots of Kaiea, my youngest son, are in the Gallery: User Photo Gallery - Uploads Posted By dosdan

and weekly game shots here: here: Picasa Web Albums - Dan Bridges

Last edited by dosdan; 09-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.