Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

Getting permission to photograph a car at a car show

In a few days, there is going to be a local car show featuring many impressive exotic cars, like enzos, turbo gallardos, and various others in a public parking lot. I've never brought a camera to such an event, so what can I expect? Can I just show up and take pictures of what I like, or do I have to ask permission of every individual car owner? Is it considered polite to ask for permission, or is it required? What kind of legal issues can I prepare for? The last thing I want to do is upset someone because I took a snap of their car. All the pictures I take will not be published anywhere, and they will be for my enjoyment only.

09-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hey neighbour!!! I figure just take your camera and enjoy your self. I'm sure therewill be lots of others doing the same thing. If anyone says anything just say you didn't know!! Where is the event??
09-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As above bring plenty of cards for the camera and shot to your hearts content never had a problem of owners to wanting to show off there pride and joy

cheers
09-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
I guess I could always say I didn't know, it's just that I don't want to risk getting into a screaming/shoving match, ending in my camera hitting the concrete. Maybe I'm just being paranoid
The event is at Trifon's Pizza. 1101 Kramer Blvd. Regina SK. It is supposed to be around 5pm, but I think they are still debating the time. I'm going with a Nikonian friend of mine, but I hope to see another Pentaxian there!

09-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
I guess I could always say I didn't know, it's just that I don't want to risk getting into a screaming/shoving match, ending in my camera hitting the concrete. Maybe I'm just being paranoid
The event is at Trifon's Pizza. 1101 Kramer Blvd. Regina SK. It is supposed to be around 5pm, but I think they are still debating the time. I'm going with a Nikonian friend of mine, but I hope to see another Pentaxian there!
Don't worry about being paranoid.I'm sure there will be alot of people with there P&S cameras there snapping away.You'll probably have alot of people hanging close to the cars,so it might be hard to get a clear shot,so enjoy thre day and do your best.Maybe put some of your pics up in the forum for us all to look at.
09-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
If the car is in public, I wouldn't think you shouldn't have to worry too much.
09-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Generally an event like that IS for showing off their pride and joy and I'd doubt that anyone would complain about you taking pics to your heart's content.

However, if those pics started to show up on a calendar or on postcards, the owners might be peeved about not having been approached about that... I'd check with the event organizers what policies are in place regarding commercial photography if that's where you are headed.

09-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
If in a public place and they are for you own private use you should be OK

However should you wish to use the images commercially i.e. selling them, then it's a very different matter.

Your entering into the realms of requiring to obtain at least, a Model/Performer Agreement Release if people are in shot and are recognisable and a Property/Location Release for the cars and or venue.

Typical examples of these can be downloaded off the internet, if in doubt get 'em signed up.

Enjoy the show, the problem is normally getting close enough to the cars, not to get folk in the way. Remember to watch for the reflections in the shiney surfaces of paint work and chrome. You don't want loads of photo's of yourself.
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

My wife and I happened across such a show (in a shopping centre car park) in Kanata, Ontario a few weeks ago. There was no objection from anyone on taking photos. In one shot I asked the owner to move his chair for a better photo. In another instance there was a woman in full leather on a Harley. Just as she was about to start the thing my wife asked her if she could photograph her on the bike for a picture that my wife wanted to send to her sister. The rider was very pleased with the request and rode off after the pic was taken. The bike registration was removed before the picture was sent. Go ahead and take your photos, and ask if you need a clearer shot.
...Chris
09-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had issues taking pics at a car show. Just about every owner expects that and I have never had anyone object. Many times I have given photos to the owners.
09-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can use the reflections to add interest to your shots...faces in mirrors, etc.
Please post some results if you care to.
09-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Publicly accessible event = "visible in public" = no expectation of privacy = free for the shooting...

Shoot till you wear your camera out...

The only people who can restrict photography at such an event are the owners/operators of the venue (in this case the owner of the parking lot). In that event they would normally do it up front with big-a$$ signs at the entry points telling you "No Photography" at which point (if I paid to get in) I demand my money back and leave. If no money was involved I'd ask to speak to the organizer and ask him what he is so afraid of.

Mike
07-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a quick note:
I've been taking pictures at car shows and parking lots in general. I have had very little trouble with car owners. When I was at shows, most owners have no objection to photographing their cars, as long as you don't touch anything...

But, recently, I signed up as an Adobe Stock contributor. I have submitted many of my reworked images (Photoshopped)… I have also received A LOT of rejection notices of cars with the rejection notice of "Intellectual Property"!
Basically, anything that is brand recognizable is rejected by Adobe... including the "V8" moniker on a lot of cars...

If you're not going to sell your images you'll be okay... Even if you are... sell them as "Editorial" content.

Last edited by bobphoenix; 07-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
07-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
In a few days, there is going to be a local car show featuring many impressive exotic cars, like enzos, turbo gallardos, and various others in a public parking lot. I've never brought a camera to such an event, so what can I expect? Can I just show up and take pictures of what I like, or do I have to ask permission of every individual car owner? Is it considered polite to ask for permission, or is it required? What kind of legal issues can I prepare for? The last thing I want to do is upset someone because I took a snap of their car. All the pictures I take will not be published anywhere, and they will be for my enjoyment only.
As a one time old car nut I can tell you that exotic car owners like having their cars photographed. If the cars are just parked up, watch out when moving between the cars so that your camera or camera bag does not touch the cars.
If the cars are behind barriers, and those barrier prevent you from getting a good shot, feel free to ask the owner(s) if they mind you coming behind the barrier to get a better photo.

Most owners will be more than happy to open the hood for you to get a photo of the engine, or open a door for you, to get an interior photo. But, in cases like that, always ask.
07-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread is a real blast from the past.

I haven't seen any posts from Black Magic lately...

(wonder if he'll check his replies 10 years later?)