Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
fully manual mode on K10D?

I shoot mostly on Av, sometimes Tv but not often. I set my front e-dial to control ISO and rear to control aperture.

I have messed around with M mode on occasion, but it appears that, while the photographer can select the aperture, ISO, and shutter, the camera will pick an exposure compensation value. I've only played around briefly with M mode, so I'm just wondering is this in fact the case? And if so, can you override it or set it so the M mode is 100% manual?

09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had my GX-10 pick an exposure compensation value, and I mostly shoot in M. Theoretically, exposure compensation shouldn't matter in M mode because the camera cannot compensate by adjusting any of the exposure settings. Still, this sounds like odd behavior. The closest I can think of is when I use the green button, which uses a program mode to set the exposure--but then the camera lets me control everything.

Bottom line: if you can't set it to 100% manual, either there's a setting you don't know about or the camera isn't working right.
09-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Same here on both the K10 and K20 and I shoot manual all the time. Are you reading this somewhere or experiencing it? When in manual, the VF display will show the meter settings and you can then use one of the 3 controls to adjust to the correct exposure. Ev comp is available (not sure why) in M but you have to hit the Ev button on the back and use (on mine) the front E Dial to adjust up or down. But that is user selected and not by the camera at all.
09-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
When in manual, the VF display will show the meter settings and you can then use one of the 3 controls to adjust to the correct exposure.
Exactly. In M mode, what you see in place of the EV comp. scale is the difference from "correct" exposure (as seen by the camera's meter) your current ISO, shutter & aperture values give.

QuoteQuote:
Ev comp is available (not sure why) in M but you have to hit the Ev button on the back and use (on mine) the front E Dial to adjust up or down.
My understanding of this is that EV comp. in M mode will "bias" the green button stop-down metering. AFAIK, it is only available from the K20D up.

09-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Peter I think what you said is what I am experiencing. The VF display (that's the display on the top side of the camera body correct?) is showing the meter settings, and I am mistaking this for exposure compensation.

Now, what happens when you hit the green button in this mode? I think there is a sticky thread for that...so I'll check that out.

Thanks guys.
09-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Isn't there a setting for "Auto EV Compensation" in the Custom settings? It says "Sets whether to compensate automatically when proper exposure cannot be determined".
It was never clear to me what this did exactly. I always kept it on 'Off'.
09-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Peter I think what you said is what I am experiencing. The VF display (that's the display on the top side of the camera body correct?) is showing the meter settings, and I am mistaking this for exposure compensation.

Now, what happens when you hit the green button in this mode? I think there is a sticky thread for that...so I'll check that out.
The sticky thread deals with manual lenses in particular, and the answer differs a little, potentially. If you've set the aperture using the aperture ring, the camera can't control it, so pressing the Green button sets a shutter speed that yields a "0" reading; That is, it does *exactly* what Av mode would have done with 0 exposure compensation applied had you selected that same aperture that way. It's basically a semi-automatic Av mode.

With auto-exposure lenses, the camera can potentially alter either shutter speed or aperture, but the bottom line is the same: it chooses settings for those values that result in a 0 meter reading, which is to say, *exactly* what the camera would have done automatically in an autoexposure mode with 0 exposure compensation applied. There is a custom option to control whether pressing the Green button with such a lens changes the shutter speed (making it like a semi-automatic Av mode), aperture (making it like a semi-automatic Tv mode), or both (making it like a semi-automatic P mode).
09-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
got it. thanks everyone. man, i love this forum.

09-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Think about it. If you can set your camera to M mode at will in any environment or conditions (including different lenses), and still get great pics, you have TRULY mastered your camera!