Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #1

Pentax K2000 flash problem...I think

Hello all. I just got a new Pentax K2000 from eBay. I've been trying to use it as much as I can. I've taken about 500 pics so far.
There are times when I press the shutter button and the flash will come on and make a electric buzzing sound but the camera will not take a picture. There are also times when I'll press the shutter and the camera sounds like its trying to focus but doesn't take a picture. This happens only intermittently and is remedied if I turn the camera off and on.
It happens with both DA-L lenses the camera came with. I called Pentax customer support and they had me reset the camera settings. They also instructed me to change the batteries to Li-Ions (I was using eneloop 2000mAH rechargable's initially). Still happens.
I dont know if this is a problem or if I am just doing something wrong. I can't find anything about this in the manual or on-line so I am hoping someone here can help. I'd hate to have to return this or bring it in for service so soon.
Thanks.

09-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Is the green hexagon in the bottom part of the viewfinder blinking rapidly when it happens? If yes, it means the camera has a problem focusing. That can happen when you are in a dark place.

However with the flash up, the camera should use it as an assist light and it should be able to lock focus even in total darkness, unless the object you are aiming at is too far (the flash is weak).
09-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Turn the flash mode to ON, then it'll be on manual. that way you can pop up the flash whenever you think you need it. It's buzzing and blinking because it's helping focusing.

The camera doesn't take a pictuer when it's trying to focus because it won't release the shutter unless it's on focus, it's probably too dark. It's better to manual focus at night time.
09-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Impact & LeDave...thanks for the comments.

The flash buzzing actually only happened when I was indoors in the afternoon taking pics of my daughter who was maybe 3-5 feet away.
I was actually outside today taking pics and didn't notice any flash buzzing.
I'll try your recommendations tomorrow when I play with the camera.

I'm glad that there's nothing wrong with this thing. I really enjoy the pics and the user experience vs. a point and shoot camera. I'm hoping to continue to learn a lot and maybe step up to a better Pentax in the future.

09-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Inactive Account

It was probably too dark inside for the camera to focus, that's why it used the flash as a focus assist light before taking a shot.
09-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Mine does the same thing, and LeDave is absolutely spot on. There's nothing wrong with your camera!