Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oldshovel80 Quote
Do not mind at all mike. it may just be a focus concern. i would just like to know if its me or the camara. it seems that i get a lot of pictures that look a little fuzzy not bad but i can see it. where did you get focus magic ? thanks for all the input, m
Here is the link, best $US 45.00 I have spent in a long time.
Recover Detail and Sharpen Your Blurred Photos.
Works as a Photo shop plug in also.
Cheers. Mike.

09-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmc7104 Quote
Note on doff, On 18/55 5.6 is wide open at 55mm, however I looked at the total image at 150 percent magnification and cannot find anything that is in focus anywhere,possibly front focus issue. jim
Agree, nothing in focus as far as i could tell, no way the kit lens can be that soft wide open at 55 mm. Could be the camera as you pointed out, time for a focus chart.

Cheers. Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-22-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I need a proof reader Bad.
09-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #18

Original Poster
sorry for the ignorance but what is a focus chart and where can i get it. thanks for all the help. stephen.
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ther'es a bunch of different charts floating around. I like the one at focustestchart.com, but googling for focus test chart should produce other hits too.

09-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

sorry for the ignorance but what is a focus chart and where can i get it.
Are all your images that soft or only a few?
You may have had tough luck with the AF sensor not being able to lock on to the white shirt.

If you want to test the AF of your camera/lens combination check out these AF adjustment hints. They also contain pointers to some test charts.

BTW, does anyone know what happens when (as in this case) the image stabilisation isn't ready yet but the shot is taken nevertheless (SR requires a half-shutter press of a bit under a second to stabilise and work as intended). Will the shot be taken with a stationary sensor or will there be additional shake due to the sensor moving in the process of stabilising?
09-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Good question, EXIF will state, stabilized = not ready. I`d think it just would not use SR for that shot.
Anyway, in this case SR was not active.

Cheers. Mike.
09-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #22

Original Poster
class A, i would say that 40 % of my shots look like the one i posted. but some times they are pretty good here is another one i shot with my kit tele. 75-300 it appears to be sharp. why do you think sr was not active when it was turned on during the first shot ? thanks again for all the inputName:  syd dance line 188.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  169.8 KB
09-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It isn't active if you don't half-press the shutter long enough to ready the system before pressing the button the rest of the way. You'll know the system is ready when the "hand" icon shows up in the viewfinder.

09-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter

class A, i would say that 40 % of my shots look like the one i posted. but some times they are pretty good here is another one i shot with my kit tele. 75-300 it appears to be sharp. why do you think sr was not active when it was turned on during the first shot ? thanks again for all the inputAttachment 43772
In PhotoMe, under manufactures notes, drive mode is listed as a Single frame; Self timer (12 seconds); Shutter button; Single exposure. This means that SR was not used by the camera, even if you had it turned on. The 12 second timer does the same thing as 2 second timer, SR will be deactivated by the camera.

Cheers. Mike.
09-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #25

Original Poster
does this shot appear to be clear to yall ?
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #26
Site Supporter

It is more in focus than the first one, hard to make a good judgment with the limited upload sizes available.

Cheers. Mike.

p.s. Focus Magic will allow free 10 image tryout.
09-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote

.. focus point on young mans shirt right below v-neck, weird. Is f 5.6 not enough for DOF in this situation?.
So the focus was on a white shirt, with virtually no contrast, made worse by the low ambient light condition. I wonder if the camera ever managed to figure out what to focus on at all. It appears that the camera focus-hunted a bit and then gave up and decided to release shutter in between lens rotation, resulting in motion related blur (lateral as opposed to FF/BF). It happens, predictably often, when focusing on a monochromatic surface, like a white wall or a black shirt, and one can hear the lens trying to micro-adjust continuously, even if the green light is on.

But then again, OP seems to be noticing this in other situations too. So who knows?