Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Agree with Ash, the extra megapixels come in handy when you need to crop; the other thing to keep in mind is that K10D has more advance features such as pentaprism viewfinder, two dials, TAv mode, green button etc. that you may not be able to find in K100DS.
What do all those additional features do for me?

09-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #17
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
What do all those additional features do for me?
One more wheel adds a little bit of control, and - this one I'm not sure about - enables hyper-program mode that Pentax is so proud of So, when you're shooting program AE, you can turn front wheel to instantly change into Tv mode, or rear wheel to instantly change into Av mode; afterwards, pressing green button takes you back to program.
Also when reviewing pictures, you can use front wheel to change the picture without having to zoom all the way out - useful when you have two pictures of the same subject, and you want to see which one has better focus, per se.

Also, green button would be especially useful for you, since you're going to shoot manual lenses. Basically, you will have to use those lenses in camera's M mode, and you will use aperture ring to set the aperture, and then press green button so that camera can meter and select an appropriate shutter speed. That said, I would guess K100Ds has some sort of feature that does the same thing? Or, how else do so many people around here with older cameras shoot manual lenses?
09-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
One more wheel adds a little bit of control
In particular, in M mode, the ability to have the shutter speed on one wheel and the aperture on the other, rather than require you to hold a button and turn the wheel to set aperture as the K100D does. Also the ability to use one of the wheels - possibly in conjunction with the OK button - to set ISO, rather than requiring the Fn menu. The other buttons let you change metering modes (multi-segment versus center-weighted versus spot) and other similar settings without using the menu. If you change those things often (I don't), the buttons save work.

QuoteQuote:
this one I'm not sure about - enables hyper-program mode that Pentax is so proud of So, when you're shooting program AE, you can turn front wheel to instantly change into Tv mode, or rear wheel to instantly change into Av mode; afterwards, pressing green button takes you back to program.
Some of the single-wheel cameras have a "half" version of that. Basically, you choose in advance (via the custom menu) whether you want the single (rear) wheel to change you to Tv or Av mode. I have mine set to change to Av mode, not that I ever normally use P mode. But if I do shoot P mode, I can with just a turn of the wheel go into Av mode I just can't *also* go to Tv mode by turnign the other wheel.

QuoteQuote:
Also, green button would be especially useful for you, since you're going to shoot manual lenses. Basically, you will have to use those lenses in camera's M mode, and you will use aperture ring to set the aperture, and then press green button so that camera can meter and select an appropriate shutter speed. That said, I would guess K100Ds has some sort of feature that does the same thing? Or, how else do so many people around here with older cameras shoot manual lenses?
You're right - there is a different button. On most single-wheel models, it's AE-L. On the K-m, I think it's the exposure compensation button. The K200D and K-x actually have a Green button, despite having only the one wheel.
09-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #19

Original Poster
And now I'm going to throw a wrench in this whole talk and bring up the option of getting a Pentax K-X body when it comes out-- the local price is $699 with an 18~55 lens at Henry's.

Decisions, decisions...

The only way I could afford this body would be by splitting the cost with my parents... not too much a fan of the co-ownership... but how would this body stack up against the K10D in price/features?

09-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Still doesn't have the second wheel or larger viewfinder, nor is it weather sealed. But aside form that, check the specs for yourself - it's got a lot going for it.
09-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

both are great. though sometimes while using my k20d I cant help but wonder how my beloved k10d would do (probably nearly just as good.... in some situations perhaps better!)
09-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iceemn360 Quote
both are great. though sometimes while using my k20d I cant help but wonder how my beloved k10d would do (probably nearly just as good.... in some situations perhaps better!)
I would say "different" would be the word. My K10 tends to under expose significantly compared to my K20 and the colors look colder over all. I guess it's just the difference in the sensor. Over all, I like the K20 a little better, but to the OP, I would have no problem recommending the K10 if you have the funds. The weather sealing to me is the kicker. Get it with the sealed kit lens and you have a camera you can take almost anywhere.

Unless you need video, I wouldn't get the Kx. Either of the other cameras will be cheaper and offer a good way learn the ins and outs of photography.

09-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the K10d as the market price for it is pretty cheap for such a functional camera If you have the extra cash for a K20d, I'd go with that as you can better enjoy high-iso shooting (and some extra megapickels).
09-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Go with the K100D super.
I have that DSLR and don't have any regrets getting it.
It produces excellent photos and stood up to every situation I ever encountered including low light.
It is all a matter of knowing your tool and being good at using it.
I never had to crop yet as it is all about framing.
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The K10d is perfectly suitable for a beginner, even if coming from a point and shoot.

I gave my 10d to my 14 & 21yr old (I set cam to green mode, auto select focus and evaluative metering) while at a game farm and told them to have a good time and they got great results.

They have only taken photos basic p&s before.

I'm quite happy to share their results if you have any reservations

Regards

Dylan
09-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input (and putting up with me!); it's greatly appreciated

Alright; so I've got a K100DS at $275 and a K10D for $330 available to me-- price-wise, it looks like the K10D is the better deal of the two... Thoughts?
09-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Either one will be great. You should choose the one that feels most comfortable in your hands.
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Either one will be great. You should choose the one that feels most comfortable in your hands.
Thing is I won't be able to hold either... I have fairly big hands, long fingers (tall, thin kid )
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

My two cents...I have both the K100D (not "Super") and the K10D...Really like the hi ISO on the K100D and as I do a lot of theatre shooting, it's my go-to camera. Haven't shot the K10D nearly as much as the K100D. When I am shooting the K100D, I don't miss any of the bells and whistles of the K10D.

My vote's for the K100D Super.

Either one is a great camera and you'll be happy with either of them.

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 09-28-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: clarify some confusing language
09-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #30
Veteran Member

JUST GET BOTH! All kidding aside, the K100DS would probably be the best one to learn on and then once you have mastered all of your DSLR skills, the sky is the limit depending on your funds. I love both cameras, but I shoot with my K100DS more because it is lighter than my K10D. Yea, it ain't got as many "pro" features as the K10D, but it is a blast to use nonetheless.

Last edited by res3567; 09-29-2009 at 01:16 AM.