Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Two bodies or not??

First of all, let me say that I just LOVE my k2000. No complaints what-so-ever.

My father recently passed and left me a slew of Canon slr bodies, lenses, etc.. with instructions to keep or sell and use the $ toward my photography hobby.

I've picked out what lenses I want to add to my collection and I am considering getting the K-7. Will I still use the k2000, or should I sell that too??

09-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

Why don't you shoot with the Canons for a little while and see how you like film. Personally I would keep the 2 bodies.
09-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've used my Dad's Canon film cameras in the past. They can take stunning photos and were a great learning experience for me.

Being an instant gratification type person, I prefer digital. I'm just not sure if I would need or use 2 digital bodies, and I was wondering if many people do that.
09-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've still got some canon FD mount SLRs and a Pentax 67 that my father left behind when he passed. I haven't had the heart to sell them and knowing that they wouldn't command much money on the used market these days, I held on to them.

I don't really shoot film anymore, but there's something really nostalgic about the cameras and the sentimental aspect that they were my father's prized cameras. Sometimes you just can't put a price on those memories. Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion if I did ever decide to pursue this more seriously that having access to the different media and format just gives more room for artistic experimentation and expression.

09-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

A second body can be very useful for event photography where in order to capture the exact moment, you likely won't have time to change lenses for correct framing. also can be handy when working in harsh environments when you don't want to be exposing the sensor by changing lenses
09-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

A second body is a very nice thing to have. With the price of DSLR cameras dropping daily, and outdated cameras being valued at next to nothing, a second camera is very good insurance against the possibility of damaging your front line camera.
The K-7 is a very nice piece of kit, if you can swing purchasing one, definitely go for it, but do keep your K2000.
My strategy right now is to keep my *istD (I just love that little camera) and my last generation body. When I got my K-7, I let my K10 go, but I am keeping my K20.
09-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
I've still got some canon FD mount SLRs and a Pentax 67 that my father left behind when he passed. I haven't had the heart to sell them and knowing that they wouldn't command much money on the used market these days, I held on to them.

I don't really shoot film anymore, but there's something really nostalgic about the cameras and the sentimental aspect that they were my father's prized cameras. Sometimes you just can't put a price on those memories. Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion if I did ever decide to pursue this more seriously that having access to the different media and format just gives more room for artistic experimentation and expression.
My father knew how to enjoy life and as a result, he had plenty of toys. It isn't possible to keep all of his things, but I am keeping some of his photography equipment, the grandfather clock and LOTS of other things both useful and sentimental.

But I just can't keep everything. At some point, I must seperate the memories from the stuff and let some of the things go to new homes. If I don't, they'll call the health department on me!

The Cannon TTL only flashes, bodies and lenses, HP and FZ28 P&S cameras will go. Tripods, auto thrystor flash, light meter some bags and books will stay. NONE of the memories are going anywhere.

I'm going to wait for the K-7 to get closer to $1k, and pick up a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens for my k2000. I use that range alot, and need a faster 'indoor' zoom.

09-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax 67 lenses can be mounted on the digital Pentax bodies. You will need a lens converter, to do this. I have seen some stunning images using the 67 lenses posted on some other boards.

I kept my K100 body when I upgraded to the K20, both for as a backup and because the K100 was such a low noise sensor and had the ISO 3200 ability, and I liked the size. Therefore there was a reason.

09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Keep it and any more that you should happen to aquire That way you can have a dedicated DSLR for m42's, manual's, prime's, zoom's, ect jim
09-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

i never thought i would need a 2nd body until my lcd stopped working while shooting a wedding reception. fortunately i had my k100 at least
09-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not only do you have a back-up but having a two bodies really helps to cut down on the hassles and perils associated with lens swapping.

Last edited by dadipentak; 09-26-2009 at 04:35 PM.
09-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #12

Definitely keep the K2000, and maybe add a DA40 to your list of new lenses. The combination makes a great little "walking around" or business trip camera for those times when you don't want to drag around a lot of other stuff. Just the ability to use AA lithium batteries, at probably almost 1,000 shots per set, is a great thing. I'm not sure, since I've never seen a K7, but I think the control layout is similar.
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
A second body can be very useful for event photography where in order to capture the exact moment, you likely won't have time to change lenses for correct framing. also can be handy when working in harsh environments when you don't want to be exposing the sensor by changing lenses
I second this and it is also useful if you intend to go into wedding photography as you can have two lenses handy (..of different focal lengths of course) that are coupled to the 2 bodies.
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Forum Member

Try to pick up the second body on the cheap. I got my istD for a mere $150 NIB when Ritz had to close a bunch of stores. Its a great complement/travel camera to my K10D, on which I have the battery grip - looks all serious.
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've never actually needed a second body, however it's nice knowing you have one when needed.

I did have a problem with my #1 body once, which turned out being a switch only 1/2 turned on. I was reaching for my backup, when I made the discovery.
If I didn't have a backup there I would have just packed up the camera in frustration, however If I was shooting an event that day I would have been in real trouble.