Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
2. Being that you don't seem to particularly mind that it was a demo you picked up that would have been handled by many hands and not necessarily the care of one owner, did you consider purchasing used from the forum?
Two schools of thought about that. If it was a store demo it likely sat on a shelf under the watchful eye of a salesperson and wasn't abused. A used camera, while being taken care of by the owner, is suject to many bumps and knocks out in the field. Perhaps the owner's kid picked it up and put it down too hard, etc...

I think if the camera works properly and has a full warranty (which the warranty for the end-user should start on the day of purchase, then I wouldn't see that as a bad thing.

K20D bodies in Canada at retail are STILL selling for $900+

Maybe the OP didn't save as much as he could have by buying it online, but as a small retail store employee myself, supporting local is worth the few extra bucks as long as you are generally getting a reasonable deal. Plus he'd likely be able to go back there any time in the future with questions, etc...

10-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #17

Original Poster
I'm keeping it. I had a photographer/techie friend (who knows way more than me) take a look at it. He adjusted some settings, fired off a few shots at a white wall, zoomed in to the pics he had just taken, and said, "I'm checking for dust on the sensor." After a few minutes he said, "Yeah dude, I say keep it. It's got a clean sensor, and it's in really decent shape. Plus, the guys at the local camera shop are great. Also, this is a great camera, man; lots of really nice features..." And you guys are gonna love his last remark: "If this thing got into a fight with my Nikon D90, it would kick the D90's ass."
10-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For future reference, stop down any lens to f22, point it at a white wall or paper, snap a picture and there you will see a good indication of dust on a sensor.

Can I borrow the K20 this weekend?
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #19

Original Poster
If you're in the mn area, sure! Btw, i called Pentax, and they are still offering a 3 yr extended warranty as of today.
Tangent, but related to a few comments in this thread: for the record, the U.S. does apparently have a more lenient return policy across the board. E.g., the shop where I purchased the K20D gives a generous 30-day money back guarantee, which basically means I have 30 days to try out what I've purchased from them, and if I decide during said time period I am unhappy with my purchase, I can return the item, so long as I haven't abused said item. I'm more likely to buy from a seller who wants to make sure I'm happy with the product after the purchase than from someone who is more strict on their return policy.
And I can walk in to their store at any time and say, "How does this work?", and they are eager to answer and can show me first-hand.

10-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I won't help you make up your mind, however you might consider my little story.

When I bought my K100D it was the store demo, and came with full warranty.
If I wouldn't have bought it I would have missed the boat, and possibly never have gotten a DSLR.

I took over 30,000 photographs with it, then I passed it onto a young aspiring artist.
I haven't the faintest idea how many shots she's taken with it, however it never leaves her hands and has never given her a problem.

If I had to do it again, the only thing I would have changed is I would have bought it earlier.
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The reason this is important is that the shutter is rated for 100,000 actuation
So, just curious.. What happens after 100,000 shutter actuations? What kind of problems could be expected? How would you resolve the problems? Does warranty still cover it after the 100,000 mark?

My previous Samsung has over 300,000 pictures on the clock since 2006 and is still going strong.
10-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Shutters can be re-built, if they wear out.
However I've never heard of anyone having worn out a shutter mechanism on any brand of Digital SLR.

10-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks. I've read a few times that it was rated for 100k and started to wonder if I should be worried.
10-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Thanks. I've read a few times that it was rated for 100k and started to wonder if I should be worried.
..of course there would be some few exceptions that won't even reach that mark as these are mechanical.
Some lemons would even die after just 12,000 counts from what I read..and then there are some as stated above, lasts like the energizer bunny that just goes on..and on..and on...even after 300,000 shutter counts.
10-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If it is under warranty and for some reason the shutter just quit (before the 100,000 mark), Pentax (I believe) will replace the shutter with a new one.
Its like being back to zero on your shutter count and having a brand new camera again!