Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New to forums, new to DSLR, new to SLR!

Hey all, I've been a point and shoot guy pretty much my whole life and try to understand what to take and how to take good shots. We recently purchased a K20D at a good price (NEW) with the standard (forget what it is) lens. I recently went on a field trip with my daughter and her photography (3D Arts) teacher and used a MICRO/MACRO lens on it. I loved it! Anyway, aside of lighting, what should I buy (as far as lenses) are concerned? I loved the MICRO/MACRO lens (I think it was a 105mm). I guess I need to learn my terminology. Since my daughter is in the class and I'm actually a little interested in better pictures .. I can use all of the advice I can get.

For starters, I'm on a pretty strict budget for the next few months to get caught up on bills. Well, we first bought the camera and now our insurance is due on the house ... for the year ... we know how that goes. Anyway, I'd love to get a nice zoom lense .. I'll be heading to the Homestead-Miami Speedway for the Indy race here come October 10th and think I should get a nice, cheap, but decent zoom lense. Maybe next ... the MICRO/MACRO lense

I love this camera! So far, it's been a really nice camera, fast enough for me and feels like a quality built camera.

Thanks everyone ... my main goal is to learn a good deal of taking good photos and helping my daugher out as well ... she has our old Minolta Maxxum 7D camera.

09-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also have the Pentax K20D and find it an excellent camera. I think the lens you are referring to is a Sigma 105mm DG Macro which is very sharp and gives great images. It is also good for doing Portraits as well as Macro. I have one of these and can't fault it.

Another great lens for your camera to do Landscapes and scenes with is the Sigma 10-20mm Ultra Wide Angle lens.

At a guess I would say the kit lens you got with your camera was probably an 18-55mm which is suitable for standard use.

Hope you enjoy your photography.
09-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You would be correct. The lens that came with it was a Pentax 18-55mm lens. Thanks much for the input. So sigma lenses I hear a lot about tje, for this camera. I've also heard of "doublers" and "adapters" for other lenses. I'll do some more reading up on the stuff but that takes time especially as I'm one of them "n00b"s ...

Last edited by areinike; 09-28-2009 at 06:42 PM.
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh ... are there any adapters for Nikon lenses for Pentax? I've seen tons of Pentax lenses on Nikon cameras ...

09-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you now?

Welcome here.
Enjoy the K20D - it's great.
As for adapters for Nikon to Pentax, you may have to try eBay - don't suppose there would be many of these around...
Practice with your 18-55 lens, it's a nifty little thing that'll give you a broad range of opportunities - and form there you'll know what sort of extra lenses you may need to get the most out of the vocation.
All the best in that.
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

You can probably look for a Sigma 70-300mm 4~5.6. They are usually cheap enough ($100-ish?)
There are several versions, and some are labeled "macro" - those, speaking the easy way - have a mode at which they can focus real close.
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Evening,

There is a near fatal disease associated with Pentax cameras, its referred to as - LBA or Lens Buying Addiction. You have to be very careful of this.

You can go broke very easily on buying lenses, more telephoto, more wide angle, faster lenses that work better in low light, etc. It appears that you have two lenses currently the kit (18-55) and the 105 macro. Just as a suggestion, I would use these for a while so that you can see where your interests tend to be - landscapes (wide angle), wildlife (telephoto), etc.

Also there are some ways around needing additional lenses. Say for wide angle, you can take multiple shots and stitch them together producing a picture that is essentially wide angle. There is free software on the web that will help you do this.

On the telephoto end, you can crop. With the K20, you have a lot of real estate in the picture to crop a photo so as to make it look like you were closer in.

There is a wonderful marketplace forum down below that you can buy used equipment from other members - and the prices are usually quite good. There is also KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. that sells used equipment as well. The software that came with the K20 will help you crop a picture.

So, welcome to the forum and there are lots of friendly folks here. We all ask questions...

09-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Everyone, thank you! Let me learn this bad boy here and go from there. Your input is extremely valuable and I'm sure you haven't seen the last of me here.

09-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There is a near fatal disease associated with Pentax cameras, its referred to as - LBA or Lens Buying Addiction. You have to be very careful of this.
Wait, LBA is a Pentax-specific phenomenon? I was not aware of that. Then again, I only started in on SLRs in August, and started on Pentax at that.
09-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

No, LBA is not brand-specific. It's just the Pentax users tend to revel in it more. In part because so many older lenses are available to us and fully usable (this isn't always true for the others), but also because Pentax, having a smaller market share, tends to have correspondingly more "devoted" followers (being part of a minority can help foster a sense of identity).
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I did not intend to mean that LBA was brand specific, but from what I remember, it was a Pentax user who coined the term - and I think he received a set of limited lenses for his trouble from Pentax.

As Marc so nicely put it, there are a lot of lenses out there that can be used, so enjoy - and take pictures....

09-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

You mean LanceB over at DPReview - pretty sure bought those lovely limited lenses himself. I've been struck with LBA myself. Just put in an order for the Pentax DA 35mm Macro Limited. This will be my second limited and 11th lens overall (4th new lens this year). LBA has claimed for me for sure. My buddies who shoot Canon and Nikon don't seem to have this affliction. They still use the kit lens...
09-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The steep prices of Canikon's quality lenses would make a lot of users ignore the existence of other lenses available...
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
You mean LanceB over at DPReview - pretty sure bought those lovely limited lenses himself.
He's spent a good deal of his own money to be sure, but my recollection is that Pentax rewarded him with a K20D and DA*200.

QuoteQuote:
My buddies who shoot Canon and Nikon don't seem to have this affliction. They still use the kit lens...
I had a nice talk last night at a jazz club with a fellow musician who got seriously into photography a couple of years ago (lots of concert shooting, just like me). He's a Nikon guy. He used just the zoom he bought with the camera (16-85) and a cheap 50 for a while at first, but has gone wild this past year, picking up a 35, a 150/2.8 macro, and most recently the Tokina 11-16 too. Now he's eyeing an 85. He was bemoaning the fact that he really need a new electric bass and some other music gear, but he's been spending all his spare cash on lenses. Made me smile in empathy.

BTW, he was enying the size and build quality of my lenses as I shot, fascinated not only by the DA40 and DA70 but also by my trusty M100/2.8.
10-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No, LBA is not brand-specific. It's just the Pentax users tend to revel in it more. In part because so many older lenses are available to us and fully usable (this isn't always true for the others), but also because Pentax, having a smaller market share, tends to have correspondingly more "devoted" followers (being part of a minority can help foster a sense of identity).
Sooooo true! As there are so many available lenses for Pentax and very affordable and cheap too unlike with the other brands that going on an LBA means going broke too!

Do you know that your Minolta Maxxum lens are compatible with the Sony DSLR as Sony bought Minolta and started their DSLR fare from there..that is also why there is no longer any Minolta brand.