Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K200D

Hi, I have just returned from the States, where I saw a lens that when attached to my K200D, I did not need a flash.
I am not sure if this lens can be used outside and would like to know the name of it.

Thanks heaps

09-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lens...that doesn't need a flash? Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to a fast lens such as any f/1.4 lens? Those might have less need for a flash (because at the largest aperture setting, it lets a lot of light in), but don't completely eliminate the need for one.

Every camera will need a flash in very low light conditions, unless your subjects are completely still.

I think we will need more details, or clarification at least.
09-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm assuming ChooseAName has it right - you must have been using a lens with a large maximum aperture (f/2.8 or larger - where larger aperture are denote by *lower* f-numbers). The larger the aperture, the faster the shutter speed you can shoot with for the same light and the same ISO setting. There are *dozens* of such lenses (often called "fast" lenses because they allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds). The maximum aperture for the lens is usually listed as part of it's name: the FA50/1.4, for instance, has a maximum aperture of f/1.4, which is *very* "fast". But there are lots of other lenses that have maximum apertures of f/2.8 or better. And yes, you can use them outside - just because their *maximum* aperture is f/2.8 or whatever doesn't mean that is the *only* aperture you can use.

Of course, you shoot without flash using *any* lens, but if the maximum aperture on the lens is f/4.5 or something like that, shutter speeds may be too slow to get a sharp picture.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-29-2009 at 05:17 PM.
09-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm assuming ChooseAName has it right - you must have been using a lens with a large maximum aperture (f/2.8 or larger - where larger aperture are denote by *lower* f-numbers). the larger the aperture, the faster the shutter speed you can shoot with for the same light and the same ISO setting. There are *dozens* of such lenses (often called "fast" lenses because they allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds). The maximum aperture for the lens is usually listed as part of it's name: the FA50/1.4, for instance, has a maximum aperture of f/1.4, which is *very* "fast". But there are lots of other lenses that have maximum apertures of f/2.8 or better. And yes, you can use them outside - just because their *maximum* aperture is f/2.8 or whatever doesn't mean that is the *only* aperture you can use.

Of course, you shoot without flash using *any* lens, but if the maximum aperture on the lens is f/4.5 or something like that, shutter speeds may be too slow to get a sharp picture.
Marc does it again... well said.

09-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoffkay Quote
Hi, I have just returned from the States, where I saw a lens that when attached to my K200D, I did not need a flash.
I am not sure if this lens can be used outside and would like to know the name of it.

Thanks heaps
Hi Geoff. Welcome to the forum.

If the terminology is confusing to you, you may do well in reading up on the basics of exposure (shutter speed, aperture and sensitivity). This will give you a good background on what lenses are able to do well in low light (like indoors) and how this is done.
09-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi Geoff. Welcome to the forum.

If the terminology is confusing to you, you may do well in reading up on the basics of exposure (shutter speed, aperture and sensitivity). This will give you a good background on what lenses are able to do well in low light (like indoors) and how this is done.
Thank you for your reply everyone.
Hello Ash, you may be surprised to know that I am from Brisbane.

This lense apparrantly is new and was on show at Las Vages around $299 USD.
It does let more light in and around 25mm in depth. The normal lense is attached to it.

Thanks heaps
09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you say "the normal lens is attached to it", do you mean the lens that comes with the camera (the DA18-55) is used together with this mystery lens? Did you actually try this? That seems flat out impossible. Well, I suppose some sort of wide angle converter lenses could have the effect of allowing a lens to have a greater effective aperture, but I've never heard of anything being marketed for that purpose. I have a feeling you may have misunderstood what was going on. If you heard them mention the term "normal lens", they may have been referring to the lens they were demonstrating, not th lens you already have. That is, some of the lenses that have large maximum apertures are *called* "normal" lenses. Not because they have large maximum apertures, but because their focal lengths are in the range that photographers call "normal".

Anyhow, I definitely agree you should read up on the basics of photography - how aperture and shutter relate, what focal length means in practice, etc - and then maybe you'll be able to better put into words what it is you saw.

09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoffkay Quote
Thank you for your reply everyone.
Hello Ash, you may be surprised to know that I am from Brisbane.

This lense apparrantly is new and was on show at Las Vages around $299 USD.
It does let more light in and around 25mm in depth. The normal lense is attached to it.

Thanks heaps
Jeff, there are lots of Brisbanite Pentaxians on this forum alone! And even a couple of members I know in Toowoomba too!

Now I too am a little confused by your description of the lens(es) you have.
What is the model name, focal length and maximum aperture written on the lens?
10-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Reading through this..I too am confused..LOL!
10-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums too Geoffkay.
Maybe if you know what brand the maker of the lens is, you can google it and if you find out the name of the lens, it would clear up the confusion.
We're looking forward to hear more from you.