Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
is a K20D shutter really loud in a quiet room?

i am refering to this article
Top Reviews of Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only) @Pickii

i would be shooting wedding photos in churches and so i don't want a loud shutter. my canon 20D was loud enough and felt obtrusive.

09-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K20D shutter is considerably louder than the K-7's shutter, but no louder than the K10D or K100D's (for example). If it means a lot to you, you may consider getting a K-7!

I've done many weddings with my K10D/K20D in quiet churches and no-one really minded that I snapped away in the corner - they all knew why I was there and what I was doing...
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, people *expect* photographers at weddings, and the clicking shutters are part of that. Everyone else will be doing it, not to mention setting off flashes,etc - I wouldn't be too concerned. But I am very circumspect about shooting during quiet classical concerts.
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lisa.ireland Quote
i would be shooting wedding photos in churches and so i don't want a loud shutter. my canon 20D was loud enough and felt obtrusive.

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure that the K20D is quieter than a Canon 20D. About a year ago I had a volunteer assistant at a wedding in Austin. He was shooting with a 20D. I asked him to shoot on the left side of the church and get shots of the groom; I took the right side as I always do. I could hear his shutter pretty clearly.

The weather-sealing on the K10D/K20D seems to mute the shutter noise somewhat. I have heard that the K-7 is even quieter.

I would really like a camera that makes no noise whatsoever. There is virtually no benefit to the "k-chk" of the shutter.

Will

09-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh come on Will, you know you love it! It's what makes SLR unique!
Would you consider going to a Bridge or P&S camera?
09-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh come on Will, you know you love it! It's what makes SLR unique! Would you consider going to a Bridge or P&S camera?
Been there, done that. Not going back.

But I'm serious. It's true, we need some sort of feedback to tell us that a photo has been taken. But it doesn't have to be a noise. And for those of us who do shoot weddings etc a quiet camera would be great. I gather that the latest Sony DSLRs have no shutter slap (not sure about that but I think I read that).

Will
09-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they have a very very quiet mirror mechanism or is it that they're not SLRs and don't have a mirror at all? (which models are these, do you know Will? Like maybe the a380 with the quick AF live view?)
09-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Doesn't seem too bad to me, it seems opinions vary pretty widely. The sound is a little *different* from a lot of other shutter sounds, almost like scissors, my impression is it occasionally echoes in dead silence, but gets lost in any amount of background pretty easily. I don't think I'd let it be a deal-killer: I've certainly shot weddings with far louder cameras.

I hear the K-7's something really special for quietness, though.

09-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

What about when film SLRs were the norm, and the bodies had the motorised winders on them?
I wonder how many people were complaining about the noise coming from that combo in weddings or concerts then?!?
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Nubi

It does seem a bit louder now that I shoot K-7.
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Next to my Sigma the sound of every Pentax shutter I heard sounded like a gun shot
Although I haven't heard the K7's yet.

However, when I was only shooting Pentax I never noticed. My guess is, that if your not using 2 systems you won't notice either.
09-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
Forum Member

After 5 years of using a compact camera, I love to ear the shutter sound of my K20
It's a bit loud I think, but it never bothered me or the peolple close to me.
The shutter sound was the least of my concerns when I was choosing a DSLR.
09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I would really like a camera that makes no noise whatsoever. There is virtually no benefit to the "k-chk" of the shutter.
The sound you hear isn't the shutter - it's the mirror. That is, the thing that makes it an SLR. Quiet cameras have been around a long time, but they aren't SLR's. The rangefinder design is one such design, most famously made by Leica. Non-SLR digital cameras have no mirror and hence also make little or no noise (except maybe a cheesy electronic sound effect that can usually be turned off). but with an SLR, the question isn't *whether* there is noise - you can't move a mirror up and down quickly without generating noise - it's just a matter of how much, and it's always going to be *much* more than any mirrorless camera.
09-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The sound you hear isn't the shutter - it's the mirror. That is, the thing that makes it an SLR. Quiet cameras have been around a long time, but they aren't SLR's. The rangefinder design is one such design, most famously made by Leica. Non-SLR digital cameras have no mirror and hence also make little or no noise (except maybe a cheesy electronic sound effect that can usually be turned off). but with an SLR, the question isn't *whether* there is noise - you can't move a mirror up and down quickly without generating noise - it's just a matter of how much, and it's always going to be *much* more than any mirrorless camera.
Exactly!!. It's the mirror. I think that the reason K-7 is quieter is partly because of the mag alloy casing. I am sure that it insulates the sound pretty well.
09-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What about when film SLRs were the norm, and the bodies had the motorised winders on them?
I wonder how many people were complaining about the noise coming from that combo in weddings or concerts then?!?
Yea. That happned to me once at a wedding when my ZX 50 rewound the film. I tried to put the camera under the pews and the preacher still had to talk LOUDER to overcome the noise! Talk about EMBARASSING!