Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

K2000 Manual Lens Metering Problem

Hi everyone,

I've been loving my K2000 until just recently when I started playing with in manual mode with an old K mount "A" lens. I was trying to play with it out of the "A" to see how it would feel to have an "M" lens and noticed something awful peculiar.

Basically I've noticed that when using the "+/-" button to set the shutter speed, the camera practically refuses to go above 0.7" for a shutter speed. no matter how low the light is or how small i set the aperture. sometimes i can get to give me the same shutter speed from an aperture of 1.7 all the way to 22 (i'm using a 50mm f1.7 A lens). Now when I switch the mode to aperture priority and move the aperture band on the lens to A, it will give me much slower shutter speeds (5", 20", etc).

So what gives? Is it that the light is too low to correctly meter in low light on a manual setting? Is something wrong with my camera? Any thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to be able to delve into some really affordable M series lenses - part of the whole reason I bought a Pentax!!
thanks!
-emre

09-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi emre.
So are you doing these adjustments in Av or M mode on the camera?
I can't think of a reason why it won't exceed 0.7" if set manually. I assume you've ensured the camera's set to accept non-A lenses (allow use of aperture ring in non-A setting).

Are you depressing the shutter button halfway to engage the metering when you change the aperture ring setting? If not, try changing the aperture then depress halfway and see if the Tv changes.

Any other settings on the camera you've got on that may affect this shutter speed?
09-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
i've set the camera up to accept non-a settings (the "using the aperture ring" setting is set to permitted). i tried changing the aperture and depressing the shutter button halfway but nothing seems to happen then (my understanding is that only impacts the focus and not the other settings).

can't think of any other settings i've messed with that would impact the shutter speed.
09-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you push it, do you hear / see the lens stopping down?

My M 50mm 1.7 worked fine with my K2000

Last edited by Eruditass; 09-29-2009 at 09:13 PM.
09-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2000 should work like the K100/K200. here is a thread explaining the thing:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/32-can-i-use-k-m-len...ist-ds-dl.html
09-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
For the most part the camera works right. it's just in low light. i can see the lens stopping down to the correct aperture when i press the +/- button. In decent to good light, I seem to have no problems. It's only in low light this problem begins to happen, which makes me think the problem perhaps might not be with me, but with the camera. So I want to make sure I am not trying to make the K2000 do something it really can't.

Has anyone else with a K2000/KM been able to have it on manual mode meter itself to a slow shutter speed (ie more than a few secs)? Would someone be willing to try it if they have a K2000 and a manual lens? That way I can find out if it's a limitation with the camera or perhaps something faulty in mine.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!
09-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by gomuppets Quote
For the most part the camera works right. it's just in low light. i can see the lens stopping down to the correct aperture when i press the +/- button. In decent to good light, I seem to have no problems. It's only in low light this problem begins to happen, which makes me think the problem perhaps might not be with me, but with the camera. So I want to make sure I am not trying to make the K2000 do something it really can't.

Has anyone else with a K2000/KM been able to have it on manual mode meter itself to a slow shutter speed (ie more than a few secs)? Would someone be willing to try it if they have a K2000 and a manual lens? That way I can find out if it's a limitation with the camera or perhaps something faulty in mine.

Thanks for all the replies thus far!
Just took my K2000 and put the Pentax A 50mm f1.4 lens on it.

Set the aperture ring to f1.4 (max aperture)

Set the camera to "M" mode (manual) on the dial

I have the custom settings on the camera set to allow use of aperture ring and set the camera to manual focus.

I can set the shutter speed as slow or fast as I desire within the specification limits of the camera.

Make certain that you have the top dial on the camera set to "M" not Av.

09-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think what you are seeing is that the meter needs a certain amount of light in order to work. In low light situations, there might not be enough, so it just gives up. When you use the lens in the "A" position, then it always meters wide open, so it is at least getting the full amount of light that is actually present. When you move the aperture ring off the "A" position and meter with +/-, it has to stop down to the select aperture - meaning it has even *less* light to work with. That could be what puts it over the edge.
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Has anyone else with a K2000/KM been able to have it on manual mode meter itself to a slow shutter speed (ie more than a few secs)?
I left the cap on my lens so there was absolutely no light. With both my M and M42 lenses on my Km, I can also set the shutter speed to any value the camera is capable. Even in Av mode I can push it to 10" at ISO 100, +2EV.

[edit] If I hit the meter button it sets the shutter speed to 3" (ISO 100).
09-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if it was answered, but he is looking for what the meter says to use when pushing the +/- button. So set the aperture to whatever, like f11, and push the +/- with the lens cap on. Does it set the shutter speed to longer than .7"? Not manually setting it, not using Av mode.
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Doh! I missed that. Eruditass, Marc, and the OP were all correct. The camera isn't capable of metering because the light is too low. I kept thinking he couldn't manually adjust it past 0.7".
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
You got it Wasser. I can set it the shutter speed to whatever i want manually, but if I try to have the camera set it through it's own light metering it has a hard time with low light.

So I Marc's right. That's what I was beginning to wonder. I just tried it with the lens cap on and the best i got was 3". So it does appear to be a limitation with the camera. Too bad - i love this little guy. It sounds like this is not a problem on the higher end bodies (k200d, k20d, etc?)

Thanks all!
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
And as soon as I get my next paycheck, I'm sending some money to this forum. You all are so helpful!! I really appreciate it!
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It sounds like this is not a problem on the higher end bodies (k200d, k20d, etc?)
It's a "problem" (to the extent inaccurate metering in situations where the light is so poor that taking a picture at all is hardly worth the effort can be called "problem") with *all* cameras; the only difference from one camera to the next is just how bad the light has to be before the meter starts becoming erratic. I don't think the K2000 is actually much if any different from the models you mention.
09-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's a "problem" (to the extent inaccurate metering in situations where the light is so poor that taking a picture at all is hardly worth the effort can be called "problem") with *all* cameras; the only difference from one camera to the next is just how bad the light has to be before the meter starts becoming erratic. I don't think the K2000 is actually much if any different from the models you mention.

good to know. My previous experience with an slr was an old Olympus OM. I wish pentax would just bring a light meter into the body like the old slrs had - especially considering their ability to use old manual lens is one of their great selling points (IMHO).