Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Even Watermarking doesn't stop them

Even back when I had just an old Kodak P&S camera, I put alot of effort and time into trying to get good images to sell my wares. Almost instantly, people started using my photos to sell their items, thereby profiting from my work. So, I started adding a visual watermark to these product photos. Despite the "Sew-Classic" pasted on the front of the shot, people STILL use them.

Someone's Craigslist ad using my, watermarked photo - an old shot from when I first started, but still.....

I've contacted them thru CL and requested that they NOT use my photos to sell their stuff. I doubt they will listen.

Anyhow, I feel that there really isn't much that can be done to prevent people from stealing photos from the net apart from not posting them in the first place. Sad, but true.

UPDATE:

The ad had a phone number, so I called. I asked them to please not use my copyrighted, watermarked photos to sell their goods. They pleaded ignorance, applogized, and removed the ad.

I have faith in humanity again

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 10-29-2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Update
10-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
Even back when I had just an old Kodak P&S camera, I put alot of effort and time into trying to get good images to sell my wares. Almost instantly, people started using my photos to sell their items, thereby profiting from my work. So, I started adding a visual watermark to these product photos. Despite the "Sew-Classic" pasted on the front of the shot, people STILL use them.

Someone's Craigslist ad using my, watermarked photo - an old shot from when I first started, but still.....

I've contacted them thru CL and requested that they NOT use my photos to sell their stuff. I doubt they will listen.

Anyhow, I feel that there really isn't much that can be done to prevent people from stealing photos from the net apart from not posting them in the first place. Sad, but true.

UPDATE:

The ad had a phone number, so I called. I asked them to please not use my copyrighted, watermarked photos to sell their goods. They pleaded ignorance, applogized, and removed the ad.

I have faith in humanity again
If you want to be a prick about it, issue a DMCA takedown notice to their ISP.
In the long run though, don't put anything on the web that you don't want stolen from you. If I can see it, I can steal it.