Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #1

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6D APO MACRO AF Zoom

Hi guys newbie question, would the nikon fit of this lens fit a pentax k20d camera? or will I need to buy the sigma for pentax?

10-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

well, you have a pentax camera so it stands to reason you would need the pentax mount
10-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonnieG Quote
Hi guys newbie question, would the nikon fit of this lens fit a pentax k20d camera? or will I need to buy the sigma for pentax?
No you can't put a Nikon lens onto a Pentax body.They are different mounts,and also the electric contact points wouldn't line up.The only other thing is whether their is an adapter to put a Nikon lens onto a Pentax body??? Not sure!Maybe someone else may know the answer to that one!!!As for Sigma,as long it says on the box its for a Pentax K mount you should be fine.
10-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
ok thanks, cause i was thinking that there are some lenses that are interchangable to different cameras and wasn't sure if there are adapters for these types of lens.

10-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get one with a Pentax mount. Many Nikon lenses will fit on a K mount because they are close but they won't lock. Also as mentioned, none of the auto functions will work and you would have to use it manually. That lens is available in Pentax mount and is quite reasonable.
10-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sell the Nikon lens and with the money you get, buy one with the Pentax mount..and welcome to the forums RonnieG!
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonnieG Quote
ok thanks, cause i was thinking that there are some lenses that are interchangable to different cameras and wasn't sure if there are adapters for these types of lens.
The only lenses that are actually designed to fit different types of cameras are Tamron "adaptall" lenses - a long-discontinued line of lenses for which adapters exist for lots of camera types - and T-mount lenses, which are a much simplified version of the same idea. Aside from that, lenses are designed to fit one type of camera mount and only type of camera mount only. Sometimes more than one manufacturers uses the same type of mount - Sony and Minolta, Olympus and Panasonic, and once upon a time Pentax and Ricoh, for example. But lenses for one mount won't fit camera with another. Occasionally there will be an adapter that allows lenses for one mount to sort of work with another, but usually the functionality will be much limited, and sometimes the image quality will be too. Most likely any such adapter - if it existed (and I don't think it does) would cost more than the lens you are asking about.
10-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Aussie Ronnie.
Hope you enjoy your time on the forum... and your K20D!

10-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Better still, save yourself a fortune and buy the Tamron 70-300mm off me ..... it's sharper than the sigma.
10-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think he may have been thinking of M42's and adapters.
10-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I think he may have been thinking of M42's and adapters.
Still, brand new the Sigma is under $200 and the non APO is just $129 with used ones all over for well under $100 with the proper mount, hardly worth messing around with trying to fit a Nikon mount. There is an adapter and someone ran a thread on it a year or so back with some posted photos. If I owned a bunch of Nikkors it might be worth it but I certainly wouldn't buy one to mount a used Sigma.
10-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just (trying to) provide some clarification. Agreed, for such a cheap lens, no reason to mess around with adapters for something like that.