Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

extending bracket? paranoma?

hi, i was looking through my menu and i saw extend bracket? what does that do? like white balance and stuff?

and is there a paranoma option? though i dont see one mebe its on a diff name?

10-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bracketing typically involves taking 3 or 5 images of the same scene in succession with differing exposures. Extended bracketing expands on that principle but substitutes other properties for exposure. For instance, you can take 3 shots that differ in white balance. Panorama doesn't really fall in line with the idea of bracketing unless you are taking 3 shots of each panorama and want to bracket some property.

It sounds like you may be thinking of stitching 3 separate images together to form a panorama. For this, take 3 (or more) images and have portions of them overlap. Use a free panorama creator like Hugin to combine them.
10-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh ok, thank you.
btw have u try multiexposure?
i dont understand does one foto have to be taken first lightly and the second darker in order to be good picture of vice versa?
10-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolee1990 Quote
oh ok, thank you.
btw have u try multiexposure?
i dont understand does one foto have to be taken first lightly and the second darker in order to be good picture of vice versa?
That is what you call "bracketing".
You set the camera to take a photo at a certain stop, one a step above the "right" or "set" exposure and one step below your set exposure.
It can be set at 1/3 stops or 1 stop or more than a stop.
You can also blend this 3 photos together if you want to do HDR photo.
Bracketing was usually done before in the film to make sure you get the right exposure 'coz you have 3 exposures that you shot.
This was done because you can't see immediately the photos of the shots you took so it served as "safety" shots.
Now that we have digital, you can see the results immediately and change the exposure on the fly..not unless you have a fleeting moment and you also want to be sure you get the right exposure the first time, you have to do some bracketing.