Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Shutter Problem on K2000

Hello!

I'm a newbie, just googled Pentax K2000 problems and came across this site. So glad I did.

I have had my Pentax K2000 for only 9 months or so. It has been an incredible camera for somebody like myself, very photographic illiterate.

As of yesterday, my shutter started acting strange, very slow to react. I figured it needed new batteries. I put brand new lithium batteries in today and tried to shoot some close up shots. Same problem, but worse, the shutter reacts in very, very, very sloooooooooow motion. I can't even take pictures, because if I happen to move a teeny bit in the four or five seconds it is taking to react, and snap the picture, the picture is blurry. I tried changing lenses, thinking that was the problem, and still the same thing.

Can anybody help me? I'm just sick about this!!!!

Thank you in advance!

Lori

10-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you upload some examples? What mode is the camera in? What shutter speed do your shots report?
10-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, samples please - preferably with EXIF intact.

It sounds like that either you are taking reeeally long exposures - like 4 or 5 sec - or you have the self-timer set in the menu, so there is a 2 or 12 second delay.
10-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, thank you so very, very much for the quick responses! Well, I'm sorry to be such a dunce, but how can I upload some examples? Do you mean examples of the pictures? That I know how to do, but I'm not certain that is what you are asking for?!

I sure will check the self timer, and see if that is it?!
I did have the ISO set at 200 and changed it to 100. Is that something you need to know?

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!!!!
Lori

10-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Upload it with ImageShack® - Image Hosting and then paste us the link to your uploads.
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #6

Mine did that a while ago. Then I realized I had somehow set the self timer!
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi! I'm so sorry I have been absent for awhile. I had unexpected company, and I had yet more pictures turn out horrible! Pictures of my daughter's Sr year homecoming! I'm just sick! I will upload the pictures (I hope it's ok if I upload them to my Flickr account, I do not have an Imageshack account), and hopefully you can all still help me???!!!!

Hopefully it is something as simple as the self timer??!!!!

I appreciate it so much! I have been in love with this camera, up until this point!

Thank you!
10-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When you press the shutter button, do you hear a series of beeps and then it takes the picture?

If so, then that's the timer. Look to the back of your camera. Push the button just above the "OK" button. Make sure the rectangle on the left is selected. It'll say "Drive Mode Single Frame Shooting". If it's not, then press the "WB" button until it's selected and then press "OK".

10-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, I just checked my timer, as you said, and no, it was not on the rectangle far to the left! Do you really think that is all it was???? Wow, I sure hope so! You explained it perfectly, thank you so much for the simple explanation!!!!!

Here is a link to the pictures I had a heck of a time with the other night;

Pentax Forum - a set on Flickr

I hope the link works!

Thank you so much Wasser, I'll be anxious to see if you think that was the problem after viewing my pictures!!!!
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, the timer was at least part of your problem. Clicking the shutter button and having to wait 2 to 12 seconds isn't fun.

Unfortunately, the exif data isn't there, so some information is missing. However, you commented the images with some of that and it reveals your other issue, shutter speed. Notice how as the time on the shutter speed increased(.25, .05, 1.5), your images were more blurred or odd? All the shutter speeds are way too slow for capturing people. They'd even be trouble for camera shake.

What mode are you using? Look at the wheel on the top of the camera. You may want to use "Auto Pict" until you become more familiar with how the camera works. When you do, take note of the shutter speed and aperture value the camera gives.

To get better results under the conditions you were photographing you could have used a flash, used a higher ISO, or used a wider aperture. Since you were using f5.6 on your photographs, I'm guessing you were using the 18-55 kit lens at 55mm. This means you couldn't get a wider aperture (IE at 55mm the kit is at its widest aperture at f5.6). If you zoomed less you could have used a smaller number, but the kit lens never really get terribly "fast" (good in low light).

Here is some information on shutter speed and aperture value and what it does to your photograph.

Digital SLR basics (Part 1): Aperture, depth of field and shutter speed. | Eclectic Electronics

Here is neat "simulator" that shows the effects as you change the values. This one includes ISO, which can add "grain" when you increase the value. The benefit of increasing the ISO value is being able to use a faster shutter speed.

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | Camera Simulator
10-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, thank you so very much for ALL of your information! That is fantastic! I can not wait to go and explore the links you gave me. Also, thank you so very much for explaining to me about the lens, and technicalities of them!

I'm sorry, I didn't know how to give you the exif data? I just don't have a clue how to get that. I can't thank you enough for all of your information and time!

I truly appreciate it!
Lori
10-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You're welcome! No worries on the exif data. The data is attached to the image. Unfortunately, something you used to resize, process, or upload the image has stripped the information.
10-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
You're welcome! No worries on the exif data. The data is attached to the image. Unfortunately, something you used to resize, process, or upload the image has stripped the information.
It's called flickr and it strips the data mercilessly to save bandwidth.

Anyways, from looking at the data, a simple change of the Auto ISO setting to allow maximum ISO higher than 400 (800 at least) would help you a lot in low light.
10-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
It's called flickr and it strips the data mercilessly to save bandwidth.

Anyways, from looking at the data, a simple change of the Auto ISO setting to allow maximum ISO higher than 400 (800 at least) would help you a lot in low light.
Not quite true about Flickr - you can find the Metadata, but they only keep it on the original (largest) uploaded size image.