Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

In anticipation of the K-x release, wanting to pre-buy

batteries, memory, etc.

Any recommendations on what kind of rechargables to buy/avoid?

Any recommendations on what memory to buy/avoid?

Any other items I may be overlooking that I will need to start shooting the
day the K-x is released?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

10-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

For rechargeable batteries, get the hybrid NimH.
They are labeled "pre-charged".
Comes in the brand form of Eneloop, Kodak (white), Rayovac Hybrid.
These are the brands I use more than the others.
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the tip!!

So excited about the camera coming out that I gotta buy something.
Also will lessen the "hit" the day I have to pay for the thing!
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For memory cards, so long as you have bought them at a reputable store, then I guess you won't get a lemon.
Get a minimum of at least a "Class 4" SD memory card as it would be sufficient read/write speed for a DSLR.
You might want to get the faster Class 6 as others would want to to squeeze out every juice they can out of the DSLR to make it run faster.
Beware of memory cards sold on Ebay as it might be clone coming from China.
They might be cheap but you aren't really sure of the reliability.

10-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great advice on the Class of Memory card...thank you very much!
10-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't really see a reason to go with a class 4, you'll only save a couple bucks and it may actually limit the camera. With a class 6 or higher you will be hard pressed to push the camera beyond its computing capability. Also, for memory cards I would recommend newegg.com - probably the best online reputation for computer related stuff (including memory cards), and typically the best deals you'll find.
10-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would stay away from the Duracell pre-charged NiMH. They didn't go over so well for me. Maybe about two hundred shots and done...

The Energizer Li-ion's are the best out there. They're expensive, but I get em on sale when I see them.

10-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I don't really see a reason to go with a class 4, you'll only save a couple bucks and it may actually limit the camera. With a class 6 or higher you will be hard pressed to push the camera beyond its computing capability. Also, for memory cards I would recommend newegg.com - probably the best online reputation for computer related stuff (including memory cards), and typically the best deals you'll find.
As I said, "a minimum of Class 4" as there are a lot out there that are "Class 2".
He might miss that and get one of those.
In any case, anything you can get that is fast 'coz at times "Class 6" speed even varies from brand to brand.
10-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
The Energizer Li-ion's are the best out there. They're expensive, but I get em on sale when I see them.
Just a small correction - the Energizers are lithium, but not lithium-ion. The latter are rechargeable, but the former are not. There are no lithium-ion AA's. The Energizer lithiums do work great, but unless you don't shoot much, they aren't really very cost effective long term since they aren't rechargeable. The"pre-charged" / "hybrid" / "low self-discharge" NiMH's are a better bet for most people. The new NiZn rechargeables are also getting good reviews, although they need their own special charger- you can't use the same one you might already be using with other NiMH's you might have.

BTW, I just had my second experience where using AA's bailed me out last night. I had a set of old standard (non-hybrid) NiMH's that I had long given up for use in my camera, but I took a chance and charged a couple for use in a portable digital recorder to record a concert I played last night, thinking they should still work for that (it's much less sensitive to voltage than my camera). Half though the first set, though, the battery died. So I stole a pair of Eneloops out of my camera bag and was able to continue recording.
10-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
find Sanyo Eneloops if you can, they are the best rechargables out there, a little more expensive, but worth it...

Amazon has an 8 pack of eneloops here: Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics You'll also want to get a good charger for them, search Thomas Distributing, they have a lot of good chargers on their site for decent prices.

I have this card for my K10D, and it works well, also comes with a reader,

Newegg.com - Transcend 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card w/Compact Card Reader S5 Model TS8GSDHC6- S5W - Flash Memory