Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What is the "best" flash for a Pentax K20D?

Hello. I am looking for the "Best" quality and functioning flash for my New Pentax K20D. Of course i could buy the PENTAX AF-540FGZ 540 FGZ FLASH, but i have seen others for a lot less money. Like the Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER EO-ETTL II Flash. I am divorced and i do not have a girlfriend so i do not have to explain
where my money is going. LOL
I will be using the flash on the camera as well as on a flash bracket.
Any expert advice would be greatly appriciated.
Thank you
R

Thank you all for your help. I found mattdm's article about flashes, and it is just what i was looking for!
"Check out mattdm's definitive guide on flashes (in the Articles section of the forum) for more info"

Last edited by rsthelens; 10-11-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Found information on site about flashes
10-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rsthelens Quote
Hello. I am looking for the "Best" quality and functioning flash for my New Pentax K20D. Of course i could buy the PENTAX AF-540FGZ 540 FGZ FLASH, but i have seen others for a lot less money. Like the Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER EO-ETTL II Flash. I am divorced and i do not have a girlfriend so i do not have to explain
where my money is going. LOL
I will be using the flash on the camera as well as on a flash bracket.
Any expert advice would be greatly appriciated.
Thank you
R
Do you need p-ttl? I am really loving the features and ease of use of my new lumopro lp120. I shoot mainly off camera flash, though, and have no use for ttl. Still, tilt, swivel and all the way around to point backwards, 1/1 through 1/32 power, 28-85mm zoom, plus 4 way syncing. All for less than $130!
10-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum R.
Best quality as well as reliability would have to be the Pentax 540 in my mind, although the Sigma 530 does do almost as well AFAIK (may not be as reliable in P-TTL mode).

Others may say the Metz 58 is the way to go, but I've never used it to say.
Check out mattdm's definitive guide on flashes (in the Articles section of the forum) for more info.
10-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #4

I'm using the Vivitar 285HV & find it to be an excellent flash. I'm using a K10D, but I can't imagine it would operate any differently on your camera.

10-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Best Flash

Best flash may depend on our pocket books. I got lucky and wound up with the big Metz. If you can go there it works great on the P-TTL cameras, which you have. Do make sure you buy a P-TTL unit, not a TTL, if your shooting is exclusive to the K20.
10-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The best flash is the one that works for you and you can afford. Pentax, Metz and Sigma all have very good units to work with the K20D. And some people are doing great with Promaster and Vivitar. Just make sure the unit you end up buying has P-TTL, so you can use it in Auto mode as well as manual.
10-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go here - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide - click on a few google ads. Decide ona flash. Then click through on one of those ads to a camera shop and buy one. Support Matt for doing it.

10-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After reading the guide, check Amazon reviews.

Read the guide that Arpe linked too, then check reviews on Amazon. I originally thought I wanted the Sigma. Great price, but after reading what people said, realized that I really wanted the greater features and guide number of the Metz 58. Obviously, your needs may differ but reading the reviews will help you make a more informed decision. Also note that the Pentax brand flashes don't get as good of reviews as some third party models.

michael
http://www.myporttownsend.com/