Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Personally I haven't seen any other software that comes close, I haven't seen Lightroom, but I hear that it is very good.
Lightroom is a Photoshop based program created by Adobe for professional photographers who need to process large amounts of photos quickly. A lot of the same processing tools are in Lightroom that are also used in Photoshop.

10-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photo shopping digitally is not a very different banana from darkroom post processing (film processing with dodge and burn, etc).
You now only do it on your computer 'coz the data is digital and can be digitally manipulated too!
Most of the photoshop programs also do the things that an old school photographer would do in the darkroom.
..so, basically it is ok to photoshop or manipulate your photos after you take them.
10-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You can do incredible things in Photoshop but there is a steep learning curve. For a guy like me it's very very very steep. I really should break down and take a class in the community college here.
Let me put it this way. To do simple everyday kinda stuff like applying some contrast adjustments or something it's not bad. But it is capable of so much more. It's a lot like AutoCad. You can piddle around and have fun easily and never touch 98% of the program. If you want to really push the program you're going to have to put some time into it. Like a college degree in graphics design.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 10-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.
10-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
You can do incredible things in Photoshop but there is a steep learning curve. For a guy like me it's very very very steep. I really should break down and take a class in the community college here.
Amen, brother!

10-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lynda Course

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I had a friend that handed me an old photoshop CS2 CD from Lynda that I found really instructive. There seem to be two approaches to how photoshop courses are run:

1. they run through a generic list of actions to who you how to 'improve' an image without explaining exactly what the action is doing.

2. they explain what the action is doing on a very technical level but lack application.

A in-class course might overcome this, but I found having a DVD with the same digital files that were being demonstrated for me to play with each of the effects while explaining how the effect worked and what was happening to be immensely helpful. It changes your creative workflow from running through a bunch of actions to looking at the potential of the photo and what actions to apply.

Another route you might want to look at are some of the books by Scott Kelby which are fairly well written.