Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My first stupid question - about my new lens hood

I'm here to learn, but I feel a bit embarrassed asking this.

I've searched through the forums but can't really figure out an answer to my question. I have a lens hood that came with my 200D kit. Never used one before, but I researched through the thread and see that it's a valuable piece of equipment, so I decided to get it back out of the box and put it on the camera.

Problem I'm having now, though...I can't seem to find an answer for what the little removable window is on the lens hood. I assume it is to let light in from a certain angle? Is this referred to as a "polarizing cap" or "polarizing window" or is this altogether something else?

When do you remove the little window and why/what effect does it have on the photos you take?

10-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jtucker101 Quote
I'm here to learn, but I feel a bit embarrassed asking this.

I've searched through the forums but can't really figure out an answer to my question. I have a lens hood that came with my 200D kit. Never used one before, but I researched through the thread and see that it's a valuable piece of equipment, so I decided to get it back out of the box and put it on the camera.

Problem I'm having now, though...I can't seem to find an answer for what the little removable window is on the lens hood. I assume it is to let light in from a certain angle? Is this referred to as a "polarizing cap" or "polarizing window" or is this altogether something else?

When do you remove the little window and why/what effect does it have on the photos you take?
that little window is to allow the use of a polarizing filter, which requires turning of the ring on the filter for adjustment. Pentax makes this easy by having the "window" built into the hood. if you are not using a polarizing filter, no need to remove it. but you should always be using your hood (except when using a flash) as it will protect the lens, reduce flare, and give you better contrast. removing the window will allow more stray light to get into the lens, but not much. (certainly better than having no hood) nothing to worry about really whether its in place or not. but just so you dont loose it, leave it in place.
10-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It's there so that you can manipulate a polarizing filter without removing the hood.
I mount the hood so that the window is on the bottom. This provides for good stray light protection (it's pretty much always coming in from above), and allows easy access to the polarizer from underneath.
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
excellent...thank you both!

I had forgotten to ask which way I should orient the lens hood to use the window, but looks like you answered that for me already. thank you for the quick reply!

10-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea of the little door on the hood. My previous camera didn't have this on the hood, so I learned how to reach in and turn the CPL without touching the glass. (Of course, this took lots of practice and smudges!)
10-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

You got good answers to a question that I'm sure some people were too embarrassed to ask themselves.
10-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax made that window to show the other brands that sometimes a simple solution can be made to a problem (that was brilliant by the way).

10-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah, I'm discovering things just seem to be very well thought out with this camera. i don't have experience with DSLRs at all, but the menus are intuitive and easy to use.

If only taking the photos was this easy (practice, practice, practice to remedy that, though). This is definitely a learning experience, but an enjoyable one!
10-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used a Cap Keeper for the hood window on my DA* 16-50. I cut off the elastic loop that goes around the lens and glued the string to the hood, using the taped end on the polarizer window cover. I did this shortly after I spent 25 minutes searching a grass/dirt trail to find the blasted thing when I dropped it.