Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #1

Problem in K-100 D with Manual zoom lens

Dear friends
I have a K-100 D . recently i wanted to use a 28-210 vivitar zoom lens on it. as it is k mount so it attached on body bu the camera does not functioning at all. it blinking on its panel : Av--
can you help me how can i use the lens? or it is impossible?

10-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will help you for sure.. Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com
10-14-2009, 04:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
many thanks

Dear stratman, the link was very usefull and i could use my lens. thanks alot. another problem of my camera is with its built in flash. may be u would be able to help me in this item too. the problem is that the flash does not function at all. and i should put the camera on manual flash mode to be able to take pictures. and in manual mode if i jump my flash up by pushing the button, then the camera does not take any picture and shutter does not work. whats your idea?
10-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash should 'work' with a manual lens, only it should only ever give full power each time - no automatic setting according to the exposure.

Because there is no way of the camera knowing what the lens settings are, it can only fire the flash at full intensity, and this cannot be set manually.

Hope this helps mate.

10-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Right - the only you should be seeing is that the flash always fires at full power, making most of your pictures overexposed. If it isn;'t firing at all, soemthing must be wrong. Do you have the the camera in AF mode? If so, the shutter won't fire unless it thinks the subject is in focus, and is its dark enough to need flash, you and the camera might both be having trouble with focus. Switch to MF and see if it lets you take a picture. Also, if you've set your custom option this way, the camera won't let you shoot unless the flash is fully charged, and since the flash is trying to fire at full power, that's a lot of charge. maybe your batteries are too weak?
10-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ahrouhi Quote
Dear stratman, the link was very usefull and i could use my lens. thanks alot. another problem of my camera is with its built in flash. may be u would be able to help me in this item too. the problem is that the flash does not function at all. and i should put the camera on manual flash mode to be able to take pictures. and in manual mode if i jump my flash up by pushing the button, then the camera does not take any picture and shutter does not work. whats your idea?
First off, tha flash has to charge. If the flash is charging and you press the button, it will not work unless you go into the custom menu and engage "release when charging" mode. The camera will not work until the flash is fully charged in that "off" setting in the custom menu.

Name:  sub 043.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  sub 045.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  sub 046.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  48.8 KB

Last edited by res3567; 10-15-2009 at 09:42 PM.
10-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
flash problem still exist

Hi Friends
I listen to your advices. first i change the focusing method from AF to MF but the flash did not work as before.so i think the problem is not related to focusing. and about the second advice with changing the "release when charging " from 1 to 2, this solution also did not help me.
actually when i go to function menue , my Auto flash mode is inactive and i can select only two option of manual mode. and even when i pushed up the flash manually , the shutter act and picture will taken but flash dose not action.
how can i check the flash lamp? is it possible that flash lamp has problem phisically?
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Do you have a regular autofocus lens? If it works with that but not the manual lens, then we'll know the problem is somethng specific to using manual lenses (or an error in how you are doing it, although it sounds like you're doing it right) and not simply a defective flash.

10-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Friends
I listen to your advices. first i change the focusing method from AF to MF but the flash did not work as before.so i think the problem is not related to focusing. and about the second advice with changing the "release when charging " from 1 to 2, this solution also did not help me.
actually when i go to function menue , my Auto flash mode is inactive and i can select only two option of manual mode. and even when i pushed up the flash manually , the shutter act and picture will taken but flash dose not action.
how can i check the flash lamp? is it possible that flash lamp has problem phisically?
Put the camera in Auto( Green ) mode, pop the flash and use an autofocus lens. Point the camera in the direction of low light, (a dark closet would be excellent). Make sure the camera is in on of the AF modes. Half press the shutter button. The flash should light up to assist in auto focusing. If nothing happens, you may have a flash problem.
10-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Friends
I use auto lens . i put my camera on Auto mode as you told but just flash jumped up and shutter acted without flashing.
10-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Friends
I use auto lens . i put my camera on Auto mode as you told but just flash jumped up and shutter acted without flashing.
Sorry. You may have to send it in for repair.
10-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Are you trying to use it in conditions that warrant a flash? If it isn't dark enough, I don't think it will fire in Auto.
I don't have a manual with mine but I'm assuming you also have to have shutter speed at 1/180 sec or longer. Are you doing that?
10-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
Dear friends
Thanks alot for all your suggestions and advices. i could use my lens but my flash need to be repaired i think.