Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 06:00 AM   #1

fish-eye lens for pentax k100

Can you sugest some fish-eye lens for my pentax k100 ? Will this lens fit to any other Pentax dslr camera ? Is the picture taken with fish-eye lens always spherical ? Can we choose each time if we want it spherical or aspherical ?

10-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend the Pentax DA 10-17. There is always a little distortion or it wouldn't be a fisheye. At 17mm the distortion is small and the lens can be used as a wide angle by keeping the horizon line centered. It will work on any Pentax digital camera but not on on the 35mm film cameras as it will vigenette. There are some other fisheyes out there but I haven't used them so I can't comment. I'm sure some other members will.
10-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spherical and aspherical are generally terms used to describe a lens property, not the resulting image. I only know of one circular fisheye for the Pentax (or any cropped sensor for that matter), the Sigma 4.5mm.

Flickr: Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC Circular Fisheye

This lens has a full circular field of view of 180 degrees. The exposed image is a circle.

The Pentax 10-17mm isn't circular. The maximum field of view of this lens is 180 degrees only at the diagonals. The image is rectangular.

Full-size sample photos from Pentax 10-17mm F/3.5-4.5

It's always a fisheye and, as such, always produces lots of distortion. However, as reeftool mentioned, at 17mm this distortion is reduced (compared to 10mm). I personally wouldn't characterize the distortion at 17mm small, but I would also say, depending upon the image, most people would have a difficult time differentiating between a wide angle and the fisheye (@17mm).
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of third-party, K-mount manual options:

16mm/2.6 Zenitar
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 16mm f2.8 Fisheye

8mm Peleng
Flickr: peleng! peleng!