Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

k-x or k20d (used)?

I am having a very hard time to decide on these two alternatives...

I am new to SLR. But I am willing to learn.... I am willing to hold a big camera, at least give it a try.

Your two cents please!

10-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's really hard to say until the K-x gets into people's hands. My guess is there won't be much to say between them image quality wise. I'm very interested in seeing how the new sensor compares to the K20 sensor.
The K20 ergonomics are very good, and it isn't a huge camera, I expect the K-x will be more like a mini K-7. If this is the case, it might well be the better buy.
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'd go with the K20D unless k-x has better IQ or AF speed.

reasons-
K-x doesn't have top lcd, no front e-dial, which you'll find very helpful once you get used to it. on K20D you can change ISO, shutter, aperture, metering etc all with dedicated buttons, which k-x doesn't seem to have.

K20D is weather sealed, K-x is not.

i don't care about video.
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Decision, decision, ....

More comments please!

10-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I'm certain that both cameras are very capable of producing nice shots.

I had the chance to try out a K20D for a week, and just didn't bond with it. Basically it didn't fit my hands well. I ended up buying a K2000, and just love it. In fact, one of the shots I took the first day out with it, ended up being published on the front page of the local paper.

I recently tried the K-7, and I liked it so much that I bought it. The viewfinder is outstanding!

The k2000 is on loan to my favorite uncle right now. - really fun camera. The only thing that sort of bugged me about it was the lack of indication as to which AF point the camera wanted to use. This meant that I just put it on center focus and left it there. Although the K-x has 11 auto focus points, it doesn't indicate which point it is using either, so you don't know what its focusing on unless you also restrict it to center focus only.

Anyhow, you should hold both cameras and play with the various controls and see what feel best to YOU.
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
i'd go with the K20D unless k-x has better IQ or AF speed.

reasons-
K-x doesn't have top lcd, no front e-dial, which you'll find very helpful once you get used to it. on K20D you can change ISO, shutter, aperture, metering etc all with dedicated buttons, which k-x doesn't seem to have.

K20D is weather sealed, K-x is not.

i don't care about video.
All of the above what sharathk said is true.Also the K-x has a faster fps which is around 4.7,compared to K20's 3.0,which is good if your doing sequence shots.If you like AA batteries,then the K-x is for you.If the K20 is good condition,then for me I would buy that because of LCD screen,Weather seals etc.But if you can't decide,then take them both for a test run if possible.That's the only way your going to truly know what's best for you.
10-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well it is certainly encouraging to most of us here that Pentax is your top consideration whichever model you chose.
My cousin has the K20 and it just occurred to me that I really have not handled it all that much. Maybe one weekend...

A red (or blue) K-x or fantastic K20. Both superb options. Thanks Pentax!

10-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank your all for insightful comments!

After some more research, I found both k-2000 and k-x had faster auto focus than k20d. This could be big decision factor for me for I might shoot lots of indoor with the baby on the way. I could go k-2000 since it is dirty cheap now without paying premium on the k-x. Playing for a couple of years, then I could upgrade to probably much better body ..., your thought?
10-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #9

I would go for the K20D just for the brighter penta prism alone. those are my tired old eyes talking.

I actually have the K100D and was chewing around this same upgrade dilemma for about a month.

Nice other option to go for the K-m in the meantime.
BUT if money is no problem, I'd wait for the K-x because the video would be fun with the baby.
10-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New to dSLR? - K-m's very good.

Decent layout (not as elaborate as the K20D's but still OK) and good AF makes it worth its money.
Also has a user-friendly interface, which you can use to learn more about how to improve your shots and use the camera to its fullest.

I'd say go for it and spend whatever left over from what you had budgeted on a good low-light lens, including the FA 50 f/1.4, seeing as though you'll be doing low-light shots often...
10-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #11

Im in the same boat. cant decide between the 2. i can get them for about the same price. I kind of made a pros list of each one. maybe yall can add on top:

k-x
smaller and lighter than k20d
720p video at 24fps
higher fps in burst mode
better/faster AF (not sure on)

k20d:
weatherproof and much better quality body
more picture adjustability/control via 2 knobs
higher mp count (not sure how this equates to better IQ, or if it even does)
bigger lcd
live view mode
pentaprism
10-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
I have already committed to an used FA50/1.4. Another FA35/2 on the way.

For the body, mostly likely, I will go for k20d. I will try and see if k20d fits me. Worse come to worst, I upgrade/downgrade to k-x down the road if k-x being established as indeed a good one. At this point, at least we know k20d is good and well liked by most of current pentaxors.
10-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

if you dont mind the quite decrease or loss of detail in the k-x, but would rather have a useful HIGH ISO output (if you do nightshots more often) that might come in handy, then this is the camera for starters.
10-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #14

i keep saying to myself if i wanted video then i would buy a vid camera... lol, but man that video record and faster fps in burst looks attractive... would the K-x be better at night time shots?
10-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #15

Original Poster
k-x is getting more and more attractive now. One big thing is its faster AF and high ISO performance. Video is a plus.