Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #1

any good free photo web building and hosting sites?

hello

anyone have any suggestions for good free photo web site building and hosting sites? I tried wix.com and webs.com
http://snaptphotography.webs.com/
thank you!

scott e burnham

10-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For my hosting I use 000webhost.com. It's free and has no advertising at all and has 1500mb of space. I've been with them for nearly 2 years and have zero complaints.

For my site I use a combination of flickr and wordpress.org but there are other options like pixelpost.
10-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
web site building

thanks for the info!! i played around with the flash site bulding templates and tools at wix. i am new to this type of thing but it seems pretty easy to navigate, and you can also embed your created site into your profile to sites such as myspace. i also used webs.com to host for free and they offer site visit tracking, similar to google anaylitics... http://snaptphotography.webs.com/
10-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I use Gallery2 on my two photo sites. Works very nicely!

11-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the info!
11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't looked too hard very often, but when I have looked, I didn't see anything that didn't look like it would take far more time to get decent results out of than my time is worth. Zenfolio costs $25/year, and even if I imagine my time is worth as little as $10/hour, that means if I have to spend as much as two and half hours a year mucking with some free service to get results as good as Zenfolio, it's not worth it. So that's my standard - it's got to be so good and so easy, that in two hours a year or less, I can do better than Zenfolio.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-13-2009 at 10:23 AM.
11-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm using 000webhost.com for the hosting with software from jalbum to build galleries. Very simple and quick. The hard part is going through the last three years of photos for portfolios.

11-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Check with your ISP. Sometimes they will let you have server space as part of your internet package. I have 60mb that comes with my service, which is a lot of images at 100-150kb per.
11-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I'm using 000webhost.com for the hosting with software from jalbum to build galleries. Very simple and quick. The hard part is going through the last three years of photos for portfolios.
i have opened an account with Jalbum and love all the skins they have.
how do you use jalbum software with webhost space? do you have a quick guide to link or could you just get me started?
11-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
For my hosting I use 000webhost.com. It's free and has no advertising at all and has 1500mb of space. I've been with them for nearly 2 years and have zero complaints.

For my site I use a combination of flickr and wordpress.org but there are other options like pixelpost.
The preying mantis is a supreme composition. I wish I could see EXIF details though.
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I haven't looked too hard very often, but when I have looked, I didn't see anything that didn't look like it would take far more time to get decent results out of than my time is worth. Zenfolio costs $25/year, and even if I imagine my time is worth as little as $10/hour, that means if I have to spend as much as two and half hours a year mucking with some free service to get results as good as Zenfolio, it's not worth it. So that's my standard - it's got to be so good and so easy, that in two hours a year or less, I can do better than Zenfolio.
Marc is dead on right about these free sites. If you want your own dedicated site for your images, a decent free, but out of your control appearance wise.

I use SmugMug and have been very happy with them. There are a number of others as well where you can get a nice site with few limitations for $25 or so per year. Still as a rule almost all I know use either SmugMug or Zenfolio. I suspect this is so because both are pretty stable and also offer good labs for people, or you, to order prints through. They come with predefined layouts you can use, rather than designing your own from scratch. Both also offer an "easy" upgrade path to a more complex site design should you so choose.

I have yet to find a totally free photo hosting site that did not have some sort of significant drawback. Even Flickr has it's short comings that, in the end, are just not worth the frustration and time it takes to deal with them...and, oh yeah, always read the small print to see if you are granting them "free" site the rights to use any content you upload.

I can code a site in my sleep I have been doing it for so long, but for the annual cost of a SmugMug or Zenfolio site, I don't need to do anything if I don't care to put in the effort...and in my case I am now getting into the SM API for a desktop ecommerce management app I have been planning on writing for a couple years now. Zenfolio might have also released their API by now, though when I looked it really was not ready yet...
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by giorgio Quote
i have opened an account with Jalbum and love all the skins they have.
how do you use jalbum software with webhost space? do you have a quick guide to link or could you just get me started?
Jalbum gives you 30mb free to get you started... you can upgrade to 1gb of space or unlimited for an annual fee. The jalbum software can upload via FTP to anywhere with an FTP client. All you need is the server name, a FTP username and password, and you're in business.
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #13

so I can use the additional capacity of 000webhost to upload for free a bigger album using jalbum software? I guess I only need to upload 30mb at the time?
11-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That's the beauty part... if you have a different web server, jalbum doesn't care how big the album is. The only (sort of) tricky part is to make sure that you don't upload the album directly to the public_html folder. It will overwrite your existing home page. Remember to make a folder for each album and you'll be fine. Although I'm just getting it started, my page is here.
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #15

I'll second the use of Smugmug. I used Flickr previously, but found SM had SOOO many options that allowed me to customize my site and utilize PayPal directly from my galleries. Yes, the customizations take some work, but they have incredible forums at Digital Grin Photography Forum - Powered by vBulletin with most customizations available as copy/paste. In recent months, they've incorporated a GUI wizard to make many of the frequently used custimations as simple as point/click.

Burnie:
That side, I'd like to try the 000 site and wondered, are u using a website building application or a web application to create the site that you upload to 000?