Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
JPEG sharpness and the K-7. What settings produce the best results?

Just curious as to which are the best settings in the K-7 for getting sharp pictures in JPEG?

Also, which produces crisper results? The regular texture sharpening, or the Fine detail sharpening? Probably a matter of taste on that one.

Does highlight and shadow correction affect the sharpness at all? I know it adds some noise to the photo.

I've been trying all different settings the last 2 days and have not found one that I am happy with.

10-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Just curious as to which are the best settings in the K-7 for getting sharp pictures in JPEG?

Also, which produces crisper results? The regular texture sharpening, or the Fine detail sharpening? Probably a matter of taste on that one.

Does highlight and shadow correction affect the sharpness at all? I know it adds some noise to the photo.

I've been trying all different settings the last 2 days and have not found one that I am happy with.
Going by the K20 I would suggest..........

+1 sharpness (not fine sharpness)
Natural color
WB Depends on if you are indoors or outdoors (gotta play with it, and it's obviously better on the K-7)

You have to play around with the rest of the setting, ISO apature and shutter speed play a major roll in your results.

It's very frustrating for me also!
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If there was one best group of settings that worked for everyone in all situations, then Pentax would just ahve made those the defaults and not bothered to even let you change them. Options are provided because all these things are subjective, and in most cases there are tradeoffs to make (eg, turn up noise reduction and you lose detail, turn up sharpness and you get haloing and other artefacts, etc). That's why you wil so often hear the advice to shoot RAW, so you can make all those settings afterwards, when you have the luxury of seeing the results on the screen, rather than have to guess beforehand which settings will turn out to do what you want for each shot. Or you can just accepot the default PEG settings and still have a decent amount of flexibility in ost procesisng - just be careful not to overdo NR or sharpening in camera, becaude if you go too far, it can't be reveresed later.
10-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
just be careful not to overdo NR
Now that you mention it, I think that's my problem right there. Well, that and a combination of other settings set to high ruining detail. Thanks.

10-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Going by the K20 I would suggest..........

+1 sharpness (not fine sharpness)
Natural color
WB Depends on if you are indoors or outdoors (gotta play with it, and it's obviously better on the K-7)

You have to play around with the rest of the setting, ISO apature and shutter speed play a major roll in your results.

It's very frustrating for me also!
You shouldn't go by the K20D. The cameras are totally different beasts. They are not behavcing the same in the sharpness dept. Or the contrast...