Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #1

Yellow Tint

I took a series of photos at a indoor event today. Most of them had a yellow tint to them. The light that was in the auditorium was halogen. Anything I can do to correct in Photoshop? Also can I set my K7 up to prevent this in the future?

10-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Damn Brit

If you shot in RAW, yes quite probably.
In future, do a custom WB before you start shooting.
10-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Three more things you may want to do:

1. You also may want to experiment with settings 11 and 12 of the customs menu.

2. For the rest I want to recommend shooting RAW pictures. With the raw format, the image data and the colour data are preserved, not processed and lost like in a JPEG pictures.
Which means that you have total freedom to apply any other colour temperature later (either using in camera processing or on your computer).
With raw your photo would have been fixed nicely in a minute....

3. In doubt, you can use a digital photo preview (turn the on/off switch to the far right), and change the colour temperature in the camera if you do not like the colour.
You will see the latest recording/ previous photo taken. If you do not like the colour temp results, change the colour settings.
While changing the colour temp settings, you will see then what this changed colour setting would have done to your last photo taken. (it will not actually change that photo, only the next ones taken).
This is actually a very (!) nice feature and very helpfull in odd light situations.
Try it. (do not forget to reset to auto WB to avoid the wrong settings for later photo shoots, although if you shoot raw, no real harm is done)

- Bert
10-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bert and Gary have gone into detail about this - but if in doubt, shoot in RAW and adjust later.
If bent on JPEG, then either manually set WB or custom WB your shoot under those conditions that Pentax are notorious for not correcting well enough (which to me is not such a big deal).

Hope this helps.

10-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chilihead Quote
Anything I can do to correct in Photoshop?
There's a few different quick ways you can do it using a Levels adjustment layer. Do a google search for "how to correct white balance using levels in photoshop". I'm sure you'll have a few different how-to's come up in the search.
10-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But shooting it in RAW means you can easily adjust WB under the temperature and tint sliders in Adobe Camera RAW, with minimal loss in image detail as opposed to JPEG adjustments.
10-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just trying to help salvage the photos that chilihead currently has.

I took a series of photos at a indoor event today.

Edit: Sorry Ash. Guess I read it wrong. For some reason, I assumed that chilihead shot the pics in JPEG.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 10-18-2009 at 02:29 PM.
10-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #8

I took a series of photos at a indoor event today. Most of them had a yellow tint to them. The light that was in the auditorium was halogen. Anything I can do to correct in Photoshop? Also can I set my K7 up to prevent this in the future?
If file format is raw, then you should be able to correct the white balance.

if the formant is jpg, there are several options:
Filter|Adjustments|Photo filter... (then select a filter that would have been appropriate on the lens in the first place)
Enhance|Adjust Color|Remove color cast... (this is essentially a WB correction tool)

there are other means I'm sure, but these two have helped me out in the past (I'm using Elements 7)

10-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about Photoshop CS2, but CS3 and later will allow the raw converter to be used for opening jpegs, which gives access to the colour temperature slider.
10-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Since you can preview your shots as you take them, if they are yellowish, then this tells you that it is more on the "tungsten" WB setting, if bluish, it is usually on the "flourescent" WB setting.
Putting the WB setting on "auto" usually only works for "flash", and outdoors under the sun.
The "auto" setting doesn't work on "tungsten" or "fourescent" lighting.
You can change the WB settings after you preview the test shots.
One more thing you can do is set the WB manually and shoot a grey card.