Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly are a few good tweaks done for the K-x, but I wouldn't say the high ISO performance 'far exceeds' that of the K20D.

A properly exposed shot with the K20D is still useable at ISO 3200, and the same with the K-x at ISO 6400.
Perhaps a one stop real world advantage, but not much more than that.

10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote

In respons to ASH, around where i live, I found one local camera store who has Pentax in invetory, and tried both the K20 ant K-7. Both felt great in my hands. However, the K20, with DA18-55 II lens was 1120$can, and the K7 with the same lens was 1499$can. Now since I'm a noob, I will be buying a bag, a memory card (BTW, is Extreme III or IV mandatory? or overkill?), tripod. So the K7, for now, is, sadly, out of my budget range. It sure looks like a grat camera!

As for lenses, Is the kit lens any good, or should I skip it and go for a faster lens? Also, It seems, from reading aaroud that the competitionis "outlensing" Pentax. Will I still be able to get good lenses for bbraod applications (macro to telephoto?)

Thanks

As marc already said, Pentax lenses are some of the best lenses for the money. If you are new at this the 18-55 kit plus a tamron 70-300 1:2 macro will keep you covered till you get bearings. Even then they are perfectly good lenses for the money. When you have the money then buy the REALLY good stuff.

Check online. There are several reputable dealers online that will sell you fully warranteed cameras for a fraction of what the camera store will sell it for. I bought mine stuff from Prodigital2000 a canadian ebay store. I'm in the states and I highly recommend checking them out.
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll be more than happy then with a K-x (if you want video) or even a K-m if you can find one, coupled with the kit lens and telezoom as previously referred to.

It will keep you inspired to take great photos for some time. Then save your pennies and look out for the kind of lenses that will bring out the results you want when you're ready to invest in them.

Marc's mentioned, and I'll reiterate, that there's not one 'bad' dSLR made thesedays - even entry-level models. It's a matter of choosing one over the other by means of useable features and value for money, which I do believe Pentax has over the others.

Last edited by Ash; 10-19-2009 at 09:09 PM.
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #19

Original Poster
So p0opstlnksal0t, i'm not the only lonely night picturin guy out there! About your tiger direct thing, i'm in canada and not shure i'm eligeble. As for the zooms, dont you lose light with a bir range zoom like a 55-300? If so, not very good for loww light shots. But I sure aint an expert so, hell dont take my advice at face value. I must admit that as far as lenses go, I am at a bit aof a loss about wich to select to start up my gear ; probably get 18-55 DA II WR and 55-200 WR ( but not sure that 200 will cut it for me..). Also, as I grow as an improving photographer, I am unsure that the K-x is as ergonomic, control-wise (quick settings adjustments without menu acces) as the K-20

I found on Ebay Canada a Kit you ate talking about at 1200$. At 800$ I only get the body!

Anyway, I'm probably on the market for a low used, mint conddtion K-20. pass the word, please!

10-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #20

Original Poster
And buy the way, thanks to everyone for the input. This forum is great! And so are its members !
10-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Certainly are a few good tweaks done for the K-x, but I wouldn't say the high ISO performance 'far exceeds' that of the K20D.

A properly exposed shot with the K20D is still useable at ISO 3200, and the same with the K-x at ISO 6400.
Perhaps a one stop real world advantage, but not much more than that.
forgive me I may have spoke too eagerly! Not to take anything away from the k20d. I still want to see more hands on reviews of the k-x as I still have a sweet spot for the k20d. i know it offers alot of adjustments and has dual adj. dials where as the k-x has alot of newer processing capabilities. I would not say one is better than the other. But they each offer there own special qualities... I still cant decide which to spring for... I keep looking back at that weather sealing!!! I think that may be my deciding factor since i live in a very humid area, on the gulf coast.
10-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Salut mba1971 !

Other have chimed in about the camera choice, but I wanted to answer your question about the memory cards. The Extreme IV does not exists in SD format (which the Pentax cameras use), only in CF. Extreme III will be perfectly fine.

There does not seem to be one in Ste-Hyacinthe, but the ZoneImage chain dealers have the K20D+DA18-55 at 1050$ (Canon PowerShot G10 - Caméras numériques - Caméras et accessoires caméras numériques appareils photos numériques objectifs flash cartes mémoires trépieds piles batteries sacs et autres accessoires photographie | Zone-Image[name]=Pentax-K20D-kit-%28DA-18-55mm-II%29-Cam%C3%A9ras-num%C3%A9riques&catalog[product_guids][0]=fa5f1705-4341-45d4-8bce-8d80a6b7ba82)

The one nearest to you is probably Lord Photo in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu (45 minutes drive one way). I suggest calling in advance to make sure they have it before driving over
10-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks / Merci!