Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
First DSLR coming soon, looking at Pentx K20 - need help!

Hi everyone,

I'm actively browsing ont the web for pertinent information regarding good quality DSLR's, and I stumbled on your forum. I found it very interesting for the following reasons : my web browsing and hands-on expérience is driving towards the PEntax K20 and many of the threads i read convnces me that many members are very knowlegable.

So, I'm in the market for a ±1200$ DSLR (give or take a couple of hundred bucks). I've been looking more seriously at the Canon rebel 450(XSi), the Canon 500 (T1i), the Nikon D90, Nikon D-5000, and since friday, as the reuslt of a visit at à local camera store, the PENTAX K20.

I will likely be taking family pictures, inside and outside, vacations and tourism pictures and eventually, architecture pictures. I very much like urban night pictures (witht lignts ans all...)

P.S. Please excuse my english, I seldom have the chance to use it, being a french speaking canadian.

Thanks

10-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of useful information here for your photographic needs. k20 is indeed a very capable camera, and should serve you quite well for some time. Considering the price now, it is quite hard to beat the value.
Do check out the lens review section for more information as lens choices. And most importantly keep on practicing!
10-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Depends on your imaging experience.

I went from a K100DS to my now current K20D and it has been a little difficult.
The K20D does not have a "stupid button" (auto), so i'm currently trying to remember my film days.

There is more to figure out with digital than film, but it's more exciting with all the options available on the K20D.
10-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"Nikon D90, Nikon D-5000"

Fine cameras!

10-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I went from a K100DS to my now current K20D and it has been a little difficult.
The K20D does not have a "stupid button" (auto), so i'm currently trying to remember my film days.
All Pentax DSLR's cameras have P mode, which is a auto as anyone needs.
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

mba1971,

I don't have much experience in photography, still have alot to learn though. I am currently owning a K20D which upgraded from K10D. I don't own any expensive Pentax glass, only some fairly inexpensive FA and some MF lenses, but I am happy with the pictures that the K20D gives me.

With Vivitar 70-210 MF lens

With 55-300mm at 300mm
This one is not sharp to my liking (I put my hands on the wooden fence and that was shaken when I pushed the button)

The K20D is more than enough for me to catch the joyfull moment of my kids.
With Tamron 28-300mm

This one was taken with the K10D and the kit lens 18-55mm

Last edited by Ken T; 10-17-2009 at 11:39 PM.
10-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi mba1971,

You may want to consider the latest Pentax dslr, the K-x, as well.
It is a very capable camera, nice price, it is much more user friendly than a K20D if that is one of your worries.
It is also smaller and not so heavy.

The photgraphic results we have seen from the K-x owners on this forum look very, very good.

- Bert
10-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi mba,
Lots of different advice will be thrown your way.
You'll get another opinion here, but ultimately it will be your needs and desires in a camera that will determine which one will suit you most.

I have the K20D and K10D after having a K100D and *ist D - I have appreciated them all, but most of all the K20D. It is very capable and handles most tough conditions, both physically and photographically, very well. And the fact that it's the cheapest of all your options certainly doesn't mean that it will leave you wanting compared to the other cameras. Where the K20D may be limiting is AF ability, hence my suggestion to you:

The K-7 - still within your budget, yet an even more capable camera, building on the K20D's versatility, and giving faster, more reliable AF, especially in low light, and being even more responsive and speedy. Of course, what is even more important is the lenses you put on the camera - as it would be for any system you invest in. So bear this in mind also and find the system that best suits you in both regards.

Hope this helps.

10-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi mba,

I have the K20D and K10D after having a K100D and *ist D - I have appreciated them all, but most of all the K20D. It is very capable and handles most tough conditions, both physically and photographically, very well. And the fact that it's the cheapest of all your options certainly doesn't mean that it will leave you wanting compared to the other cameras. Where the K20D may be limiting is AF ability, hence my suggestion to you:

The K-7 - still within your budget, yet an even more capable camera, building on the K20D's versatility, and giving faster, more reliable AF, especially in low light, and being even more responsive and speedy. Of course, what is even more important is the lenses you put on the camera - as it would be for any system you invest in. So bear this in mind also and find the system that best suits you in both regards.

Hope this helps.
Thanks to all for the information.

As to Ash's comments, hi have some questions and/or comments :

.1 The K-7 seems a little overbudget for me, as this will be my first DSLR, I will also be buying a bag, memory card(s?) (bu the way, ins the extreme IV recomennded or overkill?), tripod, etc.. All added up, the K-7 is just to expensive for me right now, even if I do get pretty exited when I read the specs for that camera. Anyway, will I find the slow AF really annoying? Around here, the K20 with DA18-55 II lens sells for ±1100$, and the K-7 for 1500$

.2 About lenses, ive read here and ther that Pentax lacks choice ins lenses. How about it? And what should a newbie looking for family pictures, vacation pictures and maybe a litte fun with tweeking be looking to have as lenses : 18-55$ 16-45$ 70-200$....

.3 Through all commentaries, I still haven't had a comparison with the competition (Nikon D-5000, D90 or canon XSi or T1i)

Thanks
10-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote
.1 The K-7 seems a little overbudget for me, as this will be my first DSLR, I will also be buying a bag, memory card(s?) (bu the way, ins the extreme IV recomennded or overkill?), tripod, etc.. All added up, the K-7 is just to expensive for me right now, even if I do get pretty exited when I read the specs for that camera. Anyway, will I find the slow AF really annoying? Around here, the K20 with DA18-55 II lens sells for ±1100$, and the K-7 for 1500$
Frankly, if I were you, I'd be going for the new K-x, saving quite a bit of money on the camera itself (without sacrificing a thing in terms of image quality or AF) and thus having more left to spend on lenses. I'd recommend that over the K20D in an instant except for people who specifically require some of the more advanced features of the K20D and are willing to forego some of the *other* advanced features in the K-x in order to get the ones in the K20D. Most people in your shoes would find the K-x far more suited to them.

QuoteQuote:
.2 About lenses, ive read here and ther that Pentax lacks choice ins lenses. How about it?
It's possible to spin this lots of different ways. The number of lenses currently in production is less for Pentax than for others. However, that's mostly because the others still make and sell all their old lenses designed for film, whereas Pentax only has a small handful of those still available. There are *tons* of them available used, however - especially if you are willing to consider manual focus.

Anyhow, if you limit consideration just to modern lenses designed for digital, Pentax has about as many as anyone. There are some lenses others make and Pentax doesn't, and some lenses pentax makes and others don't. Basically, unless you have extremely narrowly-defined requirements and have a particular lenses in mind that you know one company offers than no one else does, all of the DSLR makers have more than enough lenses available to suit most people's needs.

QuoteQuote:
And what should a newbie looking for family pictures, vacation pictures and maybe a litte fun with tweeking be looking to have as lenses : 18-55$ 16-45$ 70-200$....
The 18-55 that usually sells with the camera is the no-brainer choice. Something telephoto also to give you a sense of those focal lengths too - the 50-200 or 55-300. After that you can get a betteridea of what sort of additions or upgrades you'd like to make.

QuoteQuote:
.3 Through all commentaries, I still havent had a comparison with teh competition (Nikon D-5000, D90 or canon XSi or T1i)
Pentax has SR, the others don't. I don't understand why anyone buys a camera without stabilization now that it is available. Aside from that, though, they're all fine cameras.
10-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #11

Original Poster
"Where the K20D may be limiting is AF ability, hence my suggestion to you:

The K-7 - still within your budget, yet an even more capable camera, building on the K20D's versatility, and giving faster, more reliable AF, especially in low light, and being even more responsive and speedy. Of course, what is even more important is the lenses you put on the camera - as it would be for any system you invest in. So bear this in mind also and find the system that best suits you in both regards."

Thanks to everyone for your input.

In respons to ASH, around where i live, I found one local camera store who has Pentax in invetory, and tried both the K20 ant K-7. Both felt great in my hands. However, the K20, with DA18-55 II lens was 1120$can, and the K7 with the same lens was 1499$can. Now since I'm a noob, I will be buying a bag, a memory card (BTW, is Extreme III or IV mandatory? or overkill?), tripod. So the K7, for now, is, sadly, out of my budget range. It sure looks like a grat camera!

As for lenses, Is the kit lens any good, or should I skip it and go for a faster lens? Also, It seems, from reading aaroud that the competitionis "outlensing" Pentax. Will I still be able to get good lenses for bbraod applications (macro to telephoto?)

Thanks
10-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's possible to spin this lots of different ways. The number of lenses currently in production is less for Pentax than for others. However, that's mostly because the others still make and sell all their old lenses designed for film, whereas Pentax only has a small handful of those still available. There are *tons* of them available used, however - especially if you are willing to consider manual focus.

Anyhow, if you limit consideration just to modern lenses designed for digital, Pentax has about as many as anyone. There are some lenses others make and Pentax doesn't, and some lenses pentax makes and others don't. Basically, unless you have extremely narrowly-defined requirements and have a particular lenses in mind that you know one company offers than no one else does, all of the DSLR makers have more than enough lenses available to suit most people's needs.

The 18-55 that usually sells with the camera is the no-brainer choice. Something telephoto also to give you a sense of those focal lengths too - the 50-200 or 55-300. After that you can get a betteridea of what sort of additions or upgrades you'd like to make.

Pentax has SR, the others don't. I don't understand why anyone buys a camera without stabilization now that it is available. Aside from that, though, they're all fine cameras.
The K-x comes in a two lens kit - including the 18-55 and 55-300mm.

Regarding the range of lenses available. As Marc indicates above, the choice is yours. Try and narrow down what you are interested in and figure out how are you going to use it. For me, the pancake lenses Pentax offers are what I need when carrying them on my back and into the woods. However, i've just picked up another kit lens to deal with the fact I am using my camera for taking photos of family.
Point being to definitely consider lens choices when buying a camera.
Some brands have better choices at different focal lengths, or better prices for those choices.
10-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #13

Original Poster
Sorry for the double post, i'm new at this...
10-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Well if you life close to montreal you should go to L.L.Lozeau they have great deals on pentax cameras, i saw the k20+18-55mm+50-200mm for 1250$
here the link L.L.Lozeau - Reflex
10-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #15

i am in the same boat and im seriously looking hard at the k-x! its high iso capabilities far exceed the k20d which will make low light and night shots nice... also its AF is faster than the k20d from what i hear. you can get a k-x kit on tigerdirect with the 18055mm & 55-300 zooms for 812.00 shipped!