Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Online Photo Storage

Can anyone help me find the best online photo storage area. I am looking for fast and streamlined uploads. Safety and security are also important as I hope to delete all the files from my hard drive.

Thanks

10-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Online, safety, and security don't usually mix well in the same sentence.

Why would you willingly delete your local copies (or at least make a backup on an external drive of some sort)?
10-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I agree. Absolutely no way in a million years would I hand over my only copy of my originals to some company that for all I know will go bankrupt next year and take all my files with it (like what happened with Digital Railroad - one of the most well-known such companies - last year). Chances are also next to zero that such a service would be as a cost effective as a simple external drive or two stored at a friend's house.
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm going to third those answer from legacy and Marc.External hard drive is the only safe option.With that,you have your downloads,which makes you in control of all your photos.

10-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

If you're looking for online photo storage, I would recomend looking into Smugmug. They have lots of features (security, viewing, and such) for the money. This way you can control who has access to what. But I also agree with keeping a copy of files yourself too.
10-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Zenfolio.com
10-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am going to fourth the answer that you should not rely on an external party to store all your valuable photos. Online photos are more for sharing/viewing photos but not for storage. Besides, I have no intention to upload the full size RAW files (takes time).

I would rather manage my own storage using various methods, DVD dual layer backup and storage array.
10-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DVDs are cheap, and external hard drives are not so bad either.

10-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use Mozy to augment my own hard drive RAW backups. I like it pretty well and it's $5/mo for unlimited storage.

I use SmugMug for galleries and JPEG backup (though annoyingly I have to save some JPEGs at a lower quality setting to meet the unadvertised SmugMug 12mb limit on JPEG files.
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #10

As stated above, you should just use oonline storage as a secondary storage, not as your primary archiving place.
Picassa gives you 1GB storage, Gmail gives 7GB+ for bulk storage (I think there's a 20MB limit on each email).
10-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

If you've got a relative or friend willing to share some of their drive space with you, you can use Crashplan (free for personal use, once a day automated backup) to create a DIY online (and local) backup solution.

I use it to specifically backup my photo library to a local USB hard drive, my media PC, and to my brother (overseas) in addition to using OS X's Time Machine for general backup.
11-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I use Mozy to augment my own hard drive RAW backups. I like it pretty well and it's $5/mo for unlimited storage.

I use SmugMug for galleries and JPEG backup (though annoyingly I have to save some JPEGs at a lower quality setting to meet the unadvertised SmugMug 12mb limit on JPEG files.
Smugmug clearly states the file size limits in their plan comparison charts. With a Pro account, the limit for JPEGs is 24MB. They also offer a digital vault service for an additional fee. I didn't subscribe as I prefer to keep my back-ups under my control; it was a hard-learned lesson that I've never forgot.
11-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yonnie Quote
Smugmug clearly states the file size limits in their plan comparison charts. With a Pro account, the limit for JPEGs is 24MB. They also offer a digital vault service for an additional fee. I didn't subscribe as I prefer to keep my back-ups under my control; it was a hard-learned lesson that I've never forgot.
I merely meant that they don't go out of their way to mention it when you sign up. I'm not really upset about it--it just means resizing a few photos in photoshop after exporting from Lightroom.
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I merely meant that they don't go out of their way to mention it when you sign up. I'm not really upset about it--it just means resizing a few photos in photoshop after exporting from Lightroom.

No worries. I didn't get the impression that you were upset and didn't intend to provoke. I was just offering what I saw when I signed up a few years ago after reading through the plan comparisons and the FAQs.