Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

PhotoShop Elements

Question: Is PhotoShop Elements good enough for a new photographer or should I consider a different program?

Thanks,

10-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of other programs out there, some better, some not as good, some just different (better in some ways, worse in others). If you already have Elements, no reason not to just start using it. If you start to run into limitations, then you can consider whether soemthing else would suit you better. If you don't have Elements already, you might at least look at the trials of other programs - not because Elements isn't good, but because you might happen to like another better (it's all pretty subjective).
10-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Question: Is PhotoShop Elements good enough for a new photographer?
Simple answer: Yes.
You might want to try Picassa from Google. Good price (free), and it is good for organizing your photos.
GP
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you use the K7, Picasa won't work (yet).

10-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Elements and Picasa for most of my PP. I really haven't used half the features Elements offers so I would say yes, it's probably more than good enough. I'm using Elements 6. I believe Ver. 8 has just been released. Picasa is a free program, fast and very easy to use but doesn't have all the features that Elements has. If you are new to photography, that is all you will probably need to start out with. I will also recommend the free Noiseware Community Edition also for cleaning up those high ISO shots.
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that PS Elements is an excellent value for any photography enthusiast and provides more features than what most any of us will use. I know of several advanced photographers that use Lightroom to organize and preform basic editing while using Elements to perform advanced edits. However, I echo Marc's suggestion that you try the free trials of the many programs out there to see what you like. Other good options are even free for the full versions. ACDSee, Paint Shop Pro, Picasa, GIMP, Paint.NET, Pixelmator, and IrfanView are just some of the paid & free options.
10-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Yes it is a good system to start with.
One thing to take into consideration, If you think it's likely that you will progress to full blown Photoshop, using Elements will have given you a grounding on how Adobe's systems work.
10-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

I bought my first dslr in February of this year and I use PS Elements 7 for minor post-processing. I wish I knew how to use it to its full potential to really make my photos stand out. It should satisfy your needs.