Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Asahi Pentax KX self timer dials

Hi there,

I got myself a Pentax KX. I'm very very happy with it!

One thing though: I don't quite understand how to use the self-timer. Unlike my Pentax SL, which has one self-timer dial, the KX has two dials - the outer dial (with a bit of white on it) and an inner black dial.

I have read through the manual from here, but I still don't understand how they two dials work together. I see it has something to do with interrupting the timer. I've tried playing with the two dials, but they don't seem to reliably trip the shutter.

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question! Please let me know. Thanks a lot!

10-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't play with the timer on my KX right now because I've got film loaded but there is only one timer dial. The upper dial on the body with the push button in the middle of it is the depth of field preview (push the botton) and the mirror lock up (rotate the dial until the mirror locks in the upright position). The lower dial is the timer - depending on how far you rotate it the timer runs for something like 3 to 15 seconds and it should operate the same way as the one on your SL.
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
iht
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that.

I guess I should clarify myself: there is only one self-timer dial, but there are two levers in it (one is described as the start lever, the other the cock lever). I just don't quite understand what the menu is referring to, and I've got film loaded, so I don't dare to experiment. The manual mentioned something about not leaving one of the levers in the "interrupted" state...
10-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess whichever of us finishes our film first will have to experiment. I haven't used the timer on mine since I bought the body and checked to make sure that all the features worked. You aren't supposed to leave the timer cocked for long periods, probably because it could wear out the timer spring (similar to the reason you aren't supposed to store the camera for long priods with the shutter cocked).

I thought that you set the timer by rotating the timer lever 90 degrees or more counter clockwise (when looking at the front of the camera). The further you rotate the timer, the longer it will run. Moving the timer lever exposes the start lever underneath the timer. Pulling the timer lever counter clockwise (it starts out pointed straight up) will start the timer, and putting the start lever back in it's original position will stop the timer.

Once the timer is stopped it is possible to take a picture by releasing the shutter normally, the timer can be restarted, or the timer can be reset for a longer time. After the timer is stopped it should be restarted and allowed to count down to zero before the camera is stored. I'm almost certain that the timer can only fire the camera if the shutter is already cocked, so it is safe to release the timer and let it run down any time that the camera is not cocked.

11-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
iht
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steinback, thanks again for your explanation. Just tried it: it is indeed as you said!

Thanks again.