Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I don't know if this would help but here goes..
This actually happened to a friend of mine who borrowed my K100DS.
She was nearsighted.
See can see the viewfinder clearly but can't shift her focus to the numbers quickly.
She told me that the numbers seem to be focused at times and blurred at times.
She didn't even notice it till I pointed out to her how to confirm focus by looking for the green hexagon bottom of the viewfinder screen together with the numbers.
She said..oh yeah, I didn't even notice there was information there..then she experience the varying focus (only of the numbers though).
So you're sayin' it's a vision problem?

10-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I don't know if this would help but here goes..
This actually happened to a friend of mine who borrowed my K100DS.
She was nearsighted.
See can see the viewfinder clearly but can't shift her focus to the numbers quickly.
She told me that the numbers seem to be focused at times and blurred at times.
She didn't even notice it till I pointed out to her how to confirm focus by looking for the green hexagon bottom of the viewfinder screen together with the numbers.
She said..oh yeah, I didn't even notice there was information there..then she experience the varying focus (only of the numbers though).
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
How interesting. I'm nearsighted too, but wear contacts, and have never had problems. My sister, who also noticed the blurry numbers, has 20/20 vision (lucky her!). I did the diopter test and put in fresh batteries, but nothing has changed. I've sent for a replacement, and will keep y'all updated when I get it.
10-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Could be a vision problem.
I'm not saying that it actually is for this given situation.
I told her to adjust the diopter so the numbers will be clearly visible but even if we had set it maximum to the left or right, she just can't get the numbers to be really clear.
If the scene she is looking at is clear and she quicky shifts her focus to the numbers, she can see them, but if she concentrates on them, it becomes blurry.
Meaning only that her eyes' focus can't probably shift that close anymore.
I am farsighted and the diopter work great.
I don't have to wear glasses as the diopter had been adjusted to my sight.
I only put on glasses if I need to preview the photos on the LCD.
10-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is a diopter issue. The manual says to adjust the diopter so the numbers in the viewfinder are the sharpest. Don't adjust the diopter to focus the scene as it will probably be out of focus when you try to manual focus. It is very easy to move that diopter setting by accident in the normal day to day handling of your camera so even if you have perfect vision, you still need to check and adjust it from time to time. An eye exam may be in order. I had nearly perfect vision for many years and then it seemed to change very rapidly. I now wear trifocals as I need a different prescription for different distances. The first things I noticed when my vision began to change was the pictures from my Spotmatic started having focus issues and I very suddenly could no longer get hits when playing softball.

10-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The first things I noticed when my vision began to change was the pictures from my Spotmatic started having focus issues and I very suddenly could no longer get hits when playing softball.
I thought you where going to say..I noticed my vision began to change..when I hit 40..hehe.
Anyway, it has been an accepted fact that vision begins to deteriorate when we hit our 40+ year mark.
Others start at around 40 while others prolong the effects of age not until they are 45 or 50.
There are exceptional individuals who are still eagle eyed even during their old age..these are although only a handful.
The diopter was tried by my friend to get a focus on the numbers to no effect..but maybe the OP has actually diopter issues as many have pointed out.