Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Fuzzy numbers in viewfinder

Hi Everyone. I just got my new K200d yesterday. While looking through the viewfinder, I noticed that the numbers at the bottom seemed to move in and out of focus, if that makes sense. They would start out fuzzy at times, and then grow crystal clear, only to go fuzzy again and so on. I also gave it to my sister and she noticed the same thing. Is this typical, or is it a defect with my camera? I have no experience with using viewfinders since this is my first dslr, so I really can't tell...

10-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Are you using fully charged batteries and what type are they? Not all AA's work well with DSLR's, maybe that is the problem.
10-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's interesting. I'm using eneloops, which have never been problematic for me.
10-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Then that's not the problem then.

Try sending a PM to this member - PentaxForums.com - View Profile: dorianb She works for Pentax and should be able to get an answer from a technician for you.

10-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you adjusted the diopter?
10-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, the viewfinder looks pretty clear. It's only the numbers that are sometimes not in focus. I'm assuming this isn't a normal thing?
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've never seen it.

10-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enialet Quote
Yes, the viewfinder looks pretty clear. It's only the numbers that are sometimes not in focus. I'm assuming this isn't a normal thing?
You are unfortunately assuming right. Quite like Marc I never even heared about such a problem.

Ben
10-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Have you adjusted the diopter?
I had exactly the same thing once when I was out on a nightshoot and BOY did I panic that I'd broken it somehow. If fact it turned out to be just the diopter, it had shifted somehow. Subsequent investigation revealed that it got caught when I took the camera out the bag.

Enialet, are you familiar with what the diopter is? If you look through your dslr eyepiece, you should see a ridged protusion that you're able to adjust - it looks something like this. It's that ridged thingamygummy between the camera body and the rubber eyecup on that pic - this is adjustable (for people with poor eyesight) - perhaps yours is slightly loose and got shifted?

I have to say I'm having a hard time working out what else it might even be as that internal LCD isn't affected by lenses. Would a wonky mirror have such an effect?

Last edited by Nass; 10-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Ok, I just duplicated the problem on my K200D. The diopter has to be right on the money. Or otherwise the numbers will get fuzzy with eye movement at the viewfinder.
Adjust the ridged slider on the viewfinder until it is perfectly clear while a lens is in focus.
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the diopter when I took the camera out of the box, but it didn't seem to help with the number problem (while the viefinder is crystal clear, the numbers still shift in and out of focus). From the looks of things, it seems to be a defect. I'll fiddle around with it some more tonight, then look into getting a return/exchange.
10-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Be sure the lens is perfectly focused on a well lit item. Then adjust the diopter until you see the clearest, best focused view through the finder.
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Be sure the lens is perfectly focused on a well lit item. Then adjust the diopter until you see the clearest, best focused view through the finder.
Or try looking at a blank white wall and adjust the diopter until the lines on the focus screen are sharp. Lens focus is irrelevant.
10-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Sorry, I wrote that from my view. I don't have lines on my screen.
10-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't know if this would help but here goes..
This actually happened to a friend of mine who borrowed my K100DS.
She was nearsighted.
See can see the viewfinder clearly but can't shift her focus to the numbers quickly.
She told me that the numbers seem to be focused at times and blurred at times.
She didn't even notice it till I pointed out to her how to confirm focus by looking for the green hexagon bottom of the viewfinder screen together with the numbers.
She said..oh yeah, I didn't even notice there was information there..then she experience the varying focus (only of the numbers though).