Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #1

High Humidity shooting? k20d over k-x

well ive been looking at the k20d but recently been taking a liking to the k-x. Im in Houston and the humidity is pretty constant over 50%. Pretty much any time i get out of the truck or come outside from the house at night, any items i have get quite foggy or wet from condensation. would i be better off with a k20d since it sports a weather sealed body? this is quite a tough decision. they are both around my price range...

10-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't really see it making much difference.
10-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think high humidity will effect your lenses moreso than your camera body itself.That's where you get the problem of fungus and mould growing inside your lenses if not stored away properly.The k20 has weather seals to prevent dust and rain getting into your inners of the camera,not so much in preventing humidity changes I would think.
10-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Condensation will almost always certainly occur even if anything is weather sealed..like coming from a really cold room then going outside where the air is warmer.
The lens element will have condensation much like the mirror on the body itself.
It goes away after the temperature equalizes from the ambient air temp with anything metal and glass both in the body and the lens.
For your case, if extreme condensation appears on the outside of the body, a good weather sealing would prevent the collecting water from trickling inside the body nor lens.
If you decide to go with a weather sealed body, you should also not forget to go with a weather sealed lens..lest everything would be moot.

10-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
these are my thoughts exactly... i would think if im going in and out of my truck, or in and out of a house frequently this might keep things a little bit dryer.... ive been looking at the kit lenses that are offered with the k-7 and they seem pretty good price for what you get. the 18-55 DA WR lense, and the 50-200 DA WR lense are around 150-250 bucks. and offer weather sealing.
10-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To negate this effect, when going between the environments, keep your camera in your bag for a while before taking it out.
10-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather sealing probably isn't going to affect condensation all that much. Condensation is exactly that, water vapor in the air condensing to a liquid brought about by a rapid temperature change. Only if the camera was air tight would this not happen. Most condensation will happen on outer surfaces not inside. That will probably be more of a problem in the colder climates, not in Houston. Mold, mildew, and fungus are more of an issue in the warm humid climate you live in.
10-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use a ziplock plastic bag when you take your lenses from your airconditioned house. It stops the condinsation when you remove the lens from the bag.

10-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
Not too worried about the high humidity anymore. Ive decided to go the k-x route. I can get a bnib body only for 550.00 shipped... seems used k20d body only is going for 600-650 without warranty...
10-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I feel your pain! Very annoying that as soon as you walk outside the lens fogs up. Alot of times I will just keep my camera bag in the garage overnight if I know I am going to need it in the morning, which is when the humidity normally the worse here in FL
11-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #11

When I lived in southern Louisiana a few years ago, *I* had to adjust to the humidity but it was a royal pain when it came to photography. I purchased re-usable anti-fog cloths (FOG Eliminator). They're branded for use with another camera manufacturer's sports optics but I didn't let the lenses see me removing the wipe from the package.
11-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lenses will fog up with high humidity, even weather sealed ones do. As mentioned above, if you know you are going out, you could put your bag out for about fifteen minutes prior and you won't have problems with it.