Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you have Nikon or Canon lenses, buy a Nikon or Canon body for them. It's not like as if they aren't common and fairly cheap if you go back a couple of generations.
Whether you can adapt a non manufacturers lens to a particular camera has to do with the flange to focal plane distance of the optical design of the lens. If it is longer than the camera, and the throat of the camera is big enough, then it's probably doable. If it's shorter than that of the camera, then you either give up infinity focus, or you put a refractive element into the adapter and kiss any lens quality you might have had good bye.
This is in addition to losing any of the lenses usability features, such as AF or auto aperture.
A-men to that!Wheatfield you have hit the nail on the head.Bottom line,if you own a Pentax,buy a lens that will fit and work with a Pentax.

10-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Apparently, hooking up a Honda engine to a Pentax DSLR is a more common practice than I would have imagined. Just out of curiosity, I contacted Honda Headquarters to check on the availability & price of such an adapter, & was surprised to learn that they are currently completely out of stock on that item!
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Igilligan

I really hope that the Honda > Pentax adaptor does not exist.

I am already so tired of the car analogies when folks are discussing cameras...

I cant imagine how horrible those analogies will get if we can really mount Mercedes and Hyundai engines on these damn things!
10-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
Forum Member

Hmm, I think were are on to something here. Now if only we can get Honda to produce an engine with the DA Limited "attitude" then the world will tremble. I love it - my two favorite companies in the world - together at last. I never imagined that it could ever happen. I drive an Acura and shoot with a Pentax - now I'll be able to do both at once :-)

10-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Apparently, hooking up a Honda engine to a Pentax DSLR is a more common practice than I would have imagined. Just out of curiosity, I contacted Honda Headquarters to check on the availability & price of such an adapter, & was surprised to learn that they are currently completely out of stock on that item!
I've got a couple on backorder.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am already so tired of the car analogies when folks are discussing cameras...

I cant imagine how horrible those analogies will get if we can really mount Mercedes and Hyundai engines on these damn things!
Then how about perhaps K-mount iMacs vs K-mount PCs?!?
The iMacs would be more expensive but at least they'd look good on the silver K-x!
10-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you have Nikon or Canon lenses, buy a Nikon or Canon body for them. It's not like as if they aren't common and fairly cheap if you go back a couple of generations.
Whether you can adapt a non manufacturers lens to a particular camera has to do with the flange to focal plane distance of the optical design of the lens. If it is longer than the camera, and the throat of the camera is big enough, then it's probably doable. If it's shorter than that of the camera, then you either give up infinity focus, or you put a refractive element into the adapter and kiss any lens quality you might have had good bye.
This is in addition to losing any of the lenses usability features, such as AF or auto aperture.
You pretty much took the words outta my mouth Weatfield.
10-24-2009, 04:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

A little softspoken objection here from the manual focus guy. I have gotten used to live with the limitations from the K100D + manual focus lenses.

Here it does not matter much if you have the auto-aperture (you click, cam stops down) or the manual aperture (you click and stop down at the same time).

In fact many people disable the auto-aperture on their manual PK-mount lenses to get quicker operation with AV-mode instead of M-mode.

Bottom line: I got used to the basic stone-age approach (don't have to learn the funky symbols on the programe wheel, AV, M, or B is all I have) and it drives you to a very simplistic approach - like back in those days. For me an excellent way to get proficient in taking photos and transferring your vision into images.

If you aren't nitpicky with IQ and can live with less blurry background it does not make so much sense to go to the stone age I confess.

I hope you don't mind me attaching a photo from one of those third-party lenses on K100D as an example. A matter of taste and priorities for sure.
Best, Georg (the other)

Zeiss Contax AE 1.4/50 (@f/2?) + polarizer on K100D no crop no PP
This lens will go for around 150$ and you can fiddle it onto PK or get a leitax conversion mount - or get the ZK

Last edited by georgweb; 10-24-2009 at 04:34 AM.
10-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I just had a thought about the Honda-Pentax combination.What would happen if we added a bottle of NOS to it?How fast would the fps be then?????????????
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Honda engine + Pentax DSLR = too much camera shake.

(and burnt hands and nose I imagine)
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
A little softspoken objection here from the manual focus guy. I have gotten used to live with the limitations from the K100D + manual focus lenses.

Here it does not matter much if you have the auto-aperture (you click, cam stops down) or the manual aperture (you click and stop down at the same time).

Bottom line: I got used to the basic stone-age approach (don't have to learn the funky symbols on the programe wheel, AV, M, or B is all I have) and it drives you to a very simplistic approach - like back in those days. For me an excellent way to get proficient in taking photos and transferring your vision into images.
I agree. Consequently, I haven't been tempted enough yet to move beyond my *ist DS bodies, as most of the additional features offered on the more modern cameras relating to focusing and/or metering don't mean much to me.
10-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Ray,

you are being tempted by the K-X, aren't you? I am.

Oddly enough the K-X has a lesser viewfinder than your fine cameras, but I hope not by much.
Georg Flintstone
10-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Ray,

you are being tempted by the K-X, aren't you? I am.

Oddly enough the K-X has a lesser viewfinder than your fine cameras, but I hope not by much.
Georg Flintstone
Yes, George, the high ISO performance is certainly enticing, but I think I'm going to hang tough for this next year or so to see what's in the cards for the coming Pentax offerings. If nothing else, the KX prices will have dropped by that time, not to mention the savings to be made by purchasing one or two of the many used KX examples that will be on the market by that time. Any move I make will entail a double expenditure (including two Katz-Eyes), as I shoot with two identical bodies, one set up with a permanently mounted adapter, serving as a dedicated M42 shooter.
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I see what you mean. Me being the cheap bird would wait like you til prices drop. Sure I would keep my K100D and take it along the K-X on rare occasions - or was it the A850? Oh my, too many choices for the manual shooter !
Georg (the camera werewolf)
10-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I just had a thought about the Honda-Pentax combination.What would happen if we added a bottle of NOS to it?How fast would the fps be then?????????????
Wow!! a New-Old-Stock Honda > Pentax Adapter. I'm in - what's the listing URL?

I know. NiOx.
10-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wow!! a New-Old-Stock Honda > Pentax Adapter. I'm in - what's the listing URL?

I know. NiOx.
I was looking on Ebay the other day and I couldn't believe my eyes,when I saw it.It was a Pentax camera with a Honda Racing Team neck Strap.Believe It or not!!!!!!!!!!