Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So i know that i can get an adapter for the M-42 style lenses, but can i get one for other manufactures?

For example is their some way to get a Nikon or canon brand lens onto a pentax?

10-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
depends...from what I've heard some of the early Nikons can be mounted directly (but loosely) on a Pentax. You might find some converters for other manufacturers, but it's my understanding that due to the "registration distance" there aren't many (if any at all) that will allow for correct focus at infinity, so no one really bothers.

Most of what I've seen are custom one-lens modifications rather than actual adapters.
10-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Basically, no, there are no commercially available adapters that do this. Not that it might not be *possible* - with a ton of compromises - for someone to design one. Just as I'm sure it would be possible, with some compromises, for someone to design an adapter that would allow a Honda Accord engine to be installed in a Toyota Camry. But that's more something for prospective mechanics who might happen to have the parts already and plenty of time on their hands to ponder than it is something your average Camry owner would be concerned with. Regardless of whether or not not it is technically feasible, it just isn't something the average Camry owner would be taking advantage of.

The exception is indeed the fact that some Nikon lenses do sort of fit Pentax cameras even without an adapter, even if they don't lock, provide AF, or anything else.
10-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Excuse me if I've got this wrong, Marc, as I've just awoken, not having completely wiped the sleep from my eyes, but are you suggesting that I might be able to mount a Honda engine onto my Pentax?

10-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you spend enough time and money designing and builing an adapter, sure!
10-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Excuse me if I've got this wrong, Marc, as I've just awoken, not having completely wiped the sleep from my eyes, but are you suggesting that I might be able to mount a Honda engine onto my Pentax?

YES! But IQ would be quite poor...
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

But just think of the burst speed!

10-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Forum Member

Well...... they both originate in Japan.... Ok!
10-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry Marc,no disrespect,but this comment above,I had to have a chuckle!!But getting back to the subject.Their was a comment about adapters in another post with this similar question.One of the members replied something like"Why would you want to put a Nikon/Canon lens on a Pentax anyway"?Are they that better that you would want to go to all that trouble to buy adapters,unless you already own Nikon/Canon lenses in the first place,and you want to utilise those lenses.
10-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

That's what I was afraid of..... it's always something.
10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's what I was afraid of..... it's always something.
You can't win 'em all, eh?
10-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have one of the Nikon adaptors. Haven't used it much but it has two significant factors in it's use. Firstly no aperture linkages so you need to perform 'stop-down' metering techniques and it has a glass element in it so that it can focus to infinity. This has a 1.5 (I think) multiplier effect and degrades image quality substantially (I've decided from my limited tests).
10-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #13

Here is a nikon adapter like what was described above.
Adapter Mount Nikon Lens to Pentax DSLR Camera - eBay (item 230380836928 end time Oct-23-09 09:20:51 PDT)

If an adapter makes the lens-to-sensor distance much greater than the original lens-to-film distance, it cannot focus to infinity. You see that with some M42 adapters, for example. That's why the above adapter adds a corrective lens, which apparently screws up other things, like the image. You could take it out, I guess.

Being also a car buff. all I can say about Honda engines is that many of the four cylnders spin counter clockwise, so when you swap them into non-Hondas, you usually go backward. Put one in a Pentax, and your lens would do the same, shooting out to full extension and popping out the glass.
10-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
Here is a nikon adapter like what was described above.
Adapter Mount Nikon Lens to Pentax DSLR Camera - eBay (item 230380836928 end time Oct-23-09 09:20:51 PDT)

If an adapter makes the lens-to-sensor distance much greater than the original lens-to-film distance, it cannot focus to infinity. You see that with some M42 adapters, for example. That's why the above adapter adds a corrective lens, which apparently screws up other things, like the image. You could take it out, I guess.

Being also a car buff. all I can say about Honda engines is that many of the four cylnders spin counter clockwise, so when you swap them into non-Hondas, you usually go backward. Put one in a Pentax, and your lens would do the same, shooting out to full extension and popping out the glass.
Wow! What a blast that would be for a few minutes. 5 reverse gears!
10-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Sorry Marc,no disrespect,but this comment above,I had to have a chuckle!!But getting back to the subject.Their was a comment about adapters in another post with this similar question.One of the members replied something like"Why would you want to put a Nikon/Canon lens on a Pentax anyway"?Are they that better that you would want to go to all that trouble to buy adapters,unless you already own Nikon/Canon lenses in the first place,and you want to utilise those lenses.
If you have Nikon or Canon lenses, buy a Nikon or Canon body for them. It's not like as if they aren't common and fairly cheap if you go back a couple of generations.
Whether you can adapt a non manufacturers lens to a particular camera has to do with the flange to focal plane distance of the optical design of the lens. If it is longer than the camera, and the throat of the camera is big enough, then it's probably doable. If it's shorter than that of the camera, then you either give up infinity focus, or you put a refractive element into the adapter and kiss any lens quality you might have had good bye.
This is in addition to losing any of the lenses usability features, such as AF or auto aperture.