Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums neighbor !! I love shooting with my Taks. I just wish I could focus a little better, lol. These eyes ain't getting any younger. I use my Taks in AV mode on my K10D. Take some test shots, and check the histogram, and adjust exposure compensation accordingly, and you are good to go.

On my K110D, I use them in "M" mode, and use the green button, it has much better stop down metering than the K10D.

Here is the "Takumar Club" thread here on the forums, lots of great shots to show you how well the Taks work !! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html

10-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
screwmount lens....

Thanks stratman, glad to see that I'm not the only Pentax person in St. Louis. Thanks for the information.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Welcome to the forums neighbor !! I love shooting with my Taks. I just wish I could focus a little better, lol. These eyes ain't getting any younger. I use my Taks in AV mode on my K10D. Take some test shots, and check the histogram, and adjust exposure compensation accordingly, and you are good to go.

On my K110D, I use them in "M" mode, and use the green button, it has much better stop down metering than the K10D.

Here is the "Takumar Club" thread here on the forums, lots of great shots to show you how well the Taks work !! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html
10-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Watch out for the "Ricoh Pin"

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Any Pentax dSLR can make use of any K-mount (natively) or screwmount (with adapter) lens.

Adapter can be found here.

Just be careful with certain Ricoh or Ricoh-compatible lenses. Most Ricoh k-mount lenses are okay, but a few have a special pin that is not present on Pentax brand lenses. I'm not sure what the pin is for, but if you mount such a lens on a Pentax autofocus camera (film or digital), that extra pin can become jammed in the AF screw drive mechanism. This makes it very difficult to remove the lens.

Search this site for "Ricoh pin". There are several threads about it, how to identify it and what to do about it.
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
Forum Member

All metering modes work just fine with the old screwmount lenses. Enjoy them - they are truely wonderful.

10-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
All metering modes work just fine with the old screwmount lenses.
Matrix does not work with M42 lenses. Sure, you can select it, but that doesn't mean you can use it.
10-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Things such as matrix metering came about due to the drawback of auto exposure: the camera doesn't really know what you are interested in or what the lighting conditions truly are. So the operator must judge how much compensation to apply... and the matrix metering attempts to remove even this last bit of skill requirement

Manual metering can benefit from matrix as well, but what it does for the photographer is permit a choice of what to meter, how to adjust the reading, and to retain this chosen exposure even when the ratio of light in the frame changes. (Example- you meter to get a good skin exposure, which then remains a good exposure even if the surrounding background light changes, or you put more or less sky in the frame.) For this type of usage, what you need is a consistent meter response - which means center weighted, spot, or even averaging. Matrix throws another variable, the photographer must learn how the matrix is likely to respond in a given situation.

Really, true manual metering on digital is even easier and more convenient, with its chimping ability, than, say, slide film.

Of course, the stop-down Av method works great too, and does tend to be faster in grab shot situations.
10-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
Forum Member

Mike, how is it that matrix wouldn't work with m42 lens (in stop down metering). Its no different than with non-A K-mount lens. Please explain and enlighten all.
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Mike, how is it that matrix wouldn't work with m42 lens (in stop down metering). Its no different than with non-A K-mount lens. Please explain and enlighten all.
Manual lenses (non A-series or AF lenses) will only do center-weighted or spot metering. Check your manual.

There's a more detailed discussion here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40690-p-ttl-matrix...pk-lenses.html

10-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Matrix metering requires communication with the lens via electrical contacts, of which M42s have none.
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #25
Forum Member

I'll check the manual - in the meantime, what mode is the camera in with a non-A or m42 lens?
10-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #26
Forum Member

I stand corrected - thanks. Its interesting that the camera needs lens information for matrix metering. Having taken apart old cameras and seen the light meter/sensor one would think that it can function independent of the lens data. Especially since center weighted does work on the same large modern light meter.
10-23-2009, 05:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't design the cameras; I just use them. Ask Pentax.

« help | photo shop? »