Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Will a K20 ovewhelm a newbie? Am I bettr off with a Kx?

Title is pretty much self explainatory

10-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Heyas...i am a newbie too I got myself a K200D...the predecessor of K-x. I think, you will find that any camera will have the same level of challenge to a newbie...and the reason is because the complexity really isnt in the camera, its in the concepts.

Imagine the camera as a computer mouse, different shaped mouse, with 2, 3, 5 or even 6 buttons. But once you figure out how a mouse work, you always know, right? Whether its microsoft intellimouse, or logitech mouse.

I was trying my friend's sony camera yesterday. It has basically everything my camera has, just different button placement.

So what is it that really makes it tough for us newbies to learn DSLR? Well, you need to understand the concept and relations between :
- Aperture
- Shutter speed
- Focal length
- Exposure

to basically use your camera in manual mode. Then comes lighting...flash...ergh >_<
But...ALL that said, all dslr have an auto-shoot mode just like your point and shoot camera. So none of the dslr should overwhelm you at first, you can learn it at your own pace, and if you need something in a hurry, switch to auto shoot.
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

errr...and just after i posted that....

they came up with a mouse with 0 buttons...>_<
Apple puts touch "Magic" in computer mouse - Yahoo! Canada News
10-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neither is a bad choice for a newbie that is keen on learning about photography.
I'd have no problem recommending either, but I prefer the K20D/K-7 at this stage only because of its array of customisable features and dedicated grip.

K-x will just add a new dimension to low-light photography, though.

10-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
errr...and just after i posted that....

they came up with a mouse with 0 buttons...>_<
Apple puts touch "Magic" in computer mouse - Yahoo! Canada News
Gotta hand it to Apple - they're pretty innovative.
Although there'll be some who don't like their computers, not many don't like the iPhone or the iPod...
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would take the plunge.Leave the training wheels on for awhile.Eventually you will be able to take them off.In no time you will be doing mono's on your K20.Conclusion;BUY THE K20!I'm sounding like DR PHIL!!!
10-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #7

My first dSLR was a K10D which is identical in it's use to the K20D. I wouldn't say I was an expert by any imagenation but I didn't think it was difficult to use. I just started with Av mode (Aperture priority) and used it for a little while until I understood what was happening when I changed the settings and then moved on to Tv mode, etc ...

If I were in your position I would buy the K20D and a good book (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson) then just read, practice, read, practice, etc.

Of course there may be other reasons to choose the Kx over the K20D such as ability to shoot video or the smaller size of the camera, but these are personal preferences ....
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I am somewhat torn on what to suggest here. I started with a K100 and 3+ years later upgraded to the K20. I think that the K20 would be a good place to start, they are priced right (but the new supply is running out, and I have watched the price rise a bit lately - however there are some great opportunities down in the market place). I would think that even with the additional control, a beginner could use it right away - there is always the "green" mode - fully automatic.

The KX on the other hand is a bit smaller, lighter weight, video (if that matters), and with better ISO speed and probably some better auto focusing. There are probably some new features that I am missing here. It is lacking the LCD on the top of the camera that I do like.

I found my K100 (and I still have it) to be easy, small and light, wonderful to use. Simple, straight forward and a great learning tool. Never did use the shooting modes.

If you do go the K20 route take a look at this site. They have a K20 book - a portion of which you can see on line for free, and down load it for $5 on the K20. It does a better job than the manual and does help you understand how and why you would want to use the various control buttons, knobs and wheels. He has books on most of the Pentax camera models other than the KM/KX that he is still probably working on.....

k10dbook home

So back to the question - I would go with the KX. Why? It comes as a kit with either 1 or 2 lenses, for the same price as the K20 body. A bit easier to use, and at least one generation of Pentax technology newer. It should hold you for several years and is an easy introduction to photography. It all boils down to what you want and determine what is best for you. You need to go handle the unit - especially since you have photo shops up in Canada that carry Pentax. That will be the real test....

... also same question different forum area....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/76631-errgggh-k20d-vs-k-x.html

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-23-2009 at 07:39 AM.
10-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I don't think the question should be whether a camera will be overwhelming, but how interested you are in pursuing photography as a form of expression. That's not to say that photographers that aren't as technically oriented in their approach can't be artists.

The K20D is a fantastic camera, but if you aren't going to use a lot of the tools there or making changes to things you need quick manual controls to, it might not be necessary. People have taken all sorts of great shots with lesser cameras. I find with Pentax that their AF is comparable across the line (some here might tell you that certain ones have faster algorithms), but what i'm getting at is isn't not like other brands where the number of AF points is vastly different with all sorts of tracking options.

The biggest difference I find across the Pentax range is build quality, ability to access settings quickly ( good for shooting at events), and ergonomics.

Having said that, I think a k20d right now represents incredible value if you're someone that is planning to take up photography more seriously.
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
I don't think the question should be whether a camera will be overwhelming, but how interested you are in pursuing photography as a form of expression.

I think a k20d right now represents incredible value if you're someone that is planning to take up photography more seriously.
I second that.
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Damn Brit

You're putting the cart before the horse to some extent. The hard part is the photography itself, all DSLRs can be used in auto mode, it just depends on how much you want to spend for a P&S.
Learn all you can about the actual picture taking - composition, aperture, exposure etc.
Once you know what you want to shoot and how to do it, the camera will be relatively easy to figure out.
10-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You're putting the cart before the horse to some extent. The hard part is the photography itself, all DSLRs can be used in auto mode, it just depends on how much you want to spend for a P&S.
Learn all you can about the actual picture taking - composition, aperture, exposure etc.
Once you know what you want to shoot and how to do it, the camera will be relatively easy to figure out.
Well said. Just shoot in auto to start with which is probably what every new DSLR owner will end up doing anyhow until he learns his camera. Most of us of the older crowd learned photography with a manual camera. We had to learn a little bit about aperture, shutter speed and film speed before we could use it. If all someone wants is to be able use different lenses then any DSLR will work very well. I know a lot of people who bought expensive DSLR's and never shoot other than in full auto. I think the so called entry level cameras are far more confusing to use. I don't want to constantly be scrolling through menus and I will probably forget where this or that setting is anyhow. My first DSLR was a K10D and I found it very easy to get familiar with as I wanted to be able to manually use the camera and quickly make adjustments. I also took a lot of shots in green mode the first couple of weeks. There is actually value in doing that because it showed how all the default settings were working and I was able to read the manual and understand a little of what I needed to do in the menus such as more or less contrast, +or- EV, sharpness, etc.
I would go with the K20D.
10-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What's your goal?

If you want to seriously develop as a photographer, the K20D offers more features than most people ever use. It's a great piece of kit and built like a tank. I'm particularly happy with the weather sealing on mine, as I tend to shoot in the rain, though that has caused me to invest in sealed DA* lenses too.

If you simply want a camera to take good photos but don't want to study a lot, the K-X is probably better for you. In the year and a half since the K20D came out, Pentax has improved the autofocus, the in-camera processing and done amazing things with high ISO capability, making the K-X a better out-of-the-box choice. The movie capability is a nice extra.

Honestly, if you're new to serious photography, the camera body isn't your main concern. All modern cameras take good pictures. And, serious photographers usually end up with more money in lenses than in bodies. By the time you really learn the ins and outs of photography, invest in some good lenses and settle on what direction your photography takes you, there will be newer and more feature rich cameras out there anyway.

The good news is both are good cameras and take good images.

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 10-23-2009 at 10:31 PM.
10-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #14

I was a "semi" noob, been a fan of photog for years and familiar with some terms, and decided to get a new camera. After months of researching got the k20d, a bit overwhelming at first, but after reading the manual and playing around with it for a couple weeks, its now very easy to use, still getting used to how to put it all together to take great pics, but all in all, you will figure it out quickly and be off and running in no time!
10-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want the camera to do everything for you except hit the shutter button, then get one of the less expensive cameras with scene modes. This will save you the trouble of learning whether, for a portrait, you should use f/2.8 or f/11; or whether, for a sports shot, you should shoot at 1/60th sec or 1/500th sec; and so on. Of course, you'll have to figure out all those scene modes. But apparently somebody likes 'em. I can't for the life of me understand why.

There is another reason to get a K-x or something else that's officially in the "starter" camera category: price. This is a completely valid reason to prefer a camera. And it is true that the camera matters less to the results you're going to get than (a) your own skill and (b) the lenses that you use.

But right now, the K20D can be had for a terrific price. So don't worry about whether it's "too hard". It's absolutely not. Actually, the K20D is EASIER to use, if you actually want to use the camera. That's part of what you pay for in more expensive cameras - better ergonomics. For example, it's much easier to use a camera like the K20D that has two e-dials - one in front for shutter speed and one in back for aperture - than to use a camera with just one e-dial, because with one e-dial you have to go through some minor contortions to make the one dial serve two entirely different purposes.

If you think you want a K20D, don't hesitate.

Will