Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Dirty Sensor Or Dirty Lens?

Wassgood my peoples..

I was shooting pictures of the sky.. and I upload to them to my comp and comes to find out My sensor or Lens are dirty.. Anywho.. I'm not sure if It's my sensor.. and My lens from the glass I can see lint inside of it.. and I'm not to familiar with cleaning lens.. But if it's the sensor.. What rocket blower do ya suggest?

10-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Damn Brit

First, welcome.
Second, Site Suggestions, Errors and Help is specifically for things related to the site itself so I have moved your thread to beginners Q&A

It's probably on your sensor bit just visually inspect the lens glass anyway.
Recommended blower would be the Giottos Rocket blower.
Consult your manual to find out how to flip the mirror up for sensor cleaning (there will be an option in one of the menus).
Hold the camera with the mount facing down and try a few puffs into the camera compartment. Be careful not to put the blower too far in, you don't want to touch the sensor with it.
You can also use the blower on your lens, if dust doesn't want to move, gently use a lens cleaning cloth.
10-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I know how to flip the mirror.. but thing is If it's not the sensor it may be inside the lens..
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Orli, I suggest using the "Dust Alert" function of the camera first, p.252 of the manual, and see what that shows. That doesn't look like a dusty lens to me, but also not like the dirty sensors I've seen. Have you been using canned air or blowing into it ? It looks like spit or some kind of residue.
Like Gary said, the Giottos blower is basically the best. You can get 'em from Amazon in different sizes or maybe from your local photo shop, if you still have one.

gl

10-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say dirty sensor. A dirty lens doesn't usually show up on your photos unless it is pretty horrible. What I see more with a dirty lens or filter is that it is much more prone to flare.
10-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You have a dirty sensor.
Dirt on the lens or mirror will not ever be visible in general shooting conditions. A lot of it can have an effect on sharpness, but it would mean dunking your lens in mud to get enough.
10-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Probably UFO's.
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's deffinetly sensor schmutz and you missed a few.

You have one filthy sensor!

10-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

An easy way to check is by taking 2 pictures, one with open diafragma, the other closed.
If it is the sensor that is dirty, the first will show almost no dirt, while in the last it will be very notiable.

- Bert